Logo

OMC electric tilt

bigp

"Hi, I have a 1973 Skipjack bo

"Hi, I have a 1973 Skipjack boat with an OMC electric outdrive. My problem is that when shifted into reverse the outdrive jumps into the up position. I'm assuming this has something to do with the adjustment of the tilt clutch pack, but can't seem to get it right. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks"

[i]can't seem to get it ri

can't seem to get it right
What are you trying to adjust?
1973 tilt clutch wasn't adjustable - did you have a later style clutch in there?

"First, I know nothing about t

"First, I know nothing about the mechanics of the tilt clutch pack, but there are shims and what seems to be a pack of clutches similar to a motorcycle clutch pack all riding in motor oil. The clutch pack doesn't seem to be tight enough to hold the drive down when put into reverse, but lifts and goes down fine. When I took it apart to look at it there was quite a bit of corrosion, so I cleaned it up and put in new motor oil and gaskets. I'm wondering if I need new shims or maybe a new clutch pack. I have already replaced the prestolite tilt motor."

newer clutch packs have a adju

newer clutch packs have a adjustment on them older ones do not. just saw a few clutch packs on ebay.

"If you were able to put it to

"If you were able to put it together without a press, then it's definitely too loose. Sounds like it's not off by much though if it's holding the weight of the drive.
Might be able to shim it. I find that once they are disassembled, they are unreliable, but I haven't messed with them much.
You should be able to stand on the outdrive without it lowering when properly assembled/tensioned. Mine both hold my weight (200 lbs)"

"Does anybody sell the whole a

"Does anybody sell the whole assembly, or a shim kit? I saw one on Ebay, but it was dissassembled and from a 80's boat. Are they all interchangeable?"

"Not new assembly, no - but sh

"Not new assembly, no - but shims, and everything is still available new, at shop.evinrude.com, but all individual pieces and last time I priced it, all the parts came to about $325
I have sold about 10 on eBay over the years. I always put $75 or so for a good used assembly.
I think they are all interchangeable from about 1970 to 1985."

"I had mine apart exactly once

"I had mine apart exactly once, made a holder for my vice. And used the vice as sorta press.

That adjustment screw in the newer clutch pack, is for the breakaway, backwards.

Allow me to explain in my own inept way.

When or if you strike a object going forward with the drive, the clutch pack will allow the drive to come up, thus not allowing in "theory" damage to the drive.

So what i believe is your problem, when you go backwards your clutch pack allows the drive to come up," not holding".

I would add a shim, and try it then."

"Everybody that responded than

"Everybody that responded thanks for the input it has been helpful and insightful. I'm going to buy some shims and see if that will make this work right. Again, thanks!"

Back