Logo

Water around shaft

morghale

I am back again. I have a 1986

I am back again. I have a 1986 Chriscraft Catalina 292. Two 220 Crusaders. I have a small bit of water coming in around one shaft at the stuffing box and the other is leaking quite a bit more. Nothing alarming as far as taking on water. My question is two fold 1) Is it normal for a little water to come to keep things cool and 2) Can I just adjust the nut at the stuffing box to tighten up the stuffing to slow the leak.

"A slight drip is normal; a gu

"A slight drip is normal; a gusher is not. And if the stuffing boxes have not had the packing changed in five years or more, do NOT just tighten them up! That will only score your shafts for the lubrication in the packing is long gone.

I replaced mine with the Teflon stuff and it's worked great for years.

Jeff"

"Howie,

That stuff does wor

"Howie,

That stuff does work great... it is called GFO Marine shaft packing. It comes in 8 or 9 different sizes so do a little research on what you may need before you dis-assemble things"

Al:

You're referring to

Al:

You're referring to the graphite coated stuff. Its the 'next generation' beyond Teflon.

I haven't seen or heard anybody complain about the GFO (except for its price) despite the ABYC recommendations against it.

OH ! Good to know... I am usi

OH ! Good to know... I am using it on the shafts and rudders...LOVE IT !
BUT...Do you know why the ABYC is against it?

"I bought a spool straight fro

"I bought a spool straight from the OEM as it was a lot more cost effective than the 2 ft lengths.

Based on what little I've read, there concern over the graphite interacting with stainless, in a corrosive (galvanic) manner. Probably a technical issue where the devil is in the details.

Graphite is above most marine stainless grades in the galvanic tables. Graphite is used in the PSS system, which is 'wet' so its a bit confusing to me, too. Also, graphite is the high tech choice for grounding brushes on rotating machinery. If I find anything in my archives, I'll post/email."

"Mark,

You are a walking en

"Mark,

You are a walking encylopedia...I was told by my 7th grade nun...Smart is not knowing the answer, but knowing how or where to find it.

From now on, I just callin' YOU !
"

Al:

several math teachers m

Al:

several math teachers made similar statements in my youth...guess they made a good impression???

thanks!

"maybe a stupid question but I

"maybe a stupid question but I will ask anyway.
Can I change the packing in the water, if I remove the nut and the old packing,how much water is going to come rushing in."

"Not stupid - answer is YES.

"Not stupid - answer is YES.

Would seriously NOT recommend doing this if it is your first time changing flax. (Murphy's Law)

How much water...depends upon the shaft size and depth. Overall, it looks worse than it really is. Most bilge pumps keep up with it fine. You can always shuff rags in the gaps to minimze the influx."

"Did that once with 1 1/4 shaf

"Did that once with 1 1/4 shaft. Surprisingly little water came in--not a problem at all. I wrapped a rag around the shaft as I changed the packing, but it wasn't really necessary. The bilge pump handled it easily.

Jeff"

I also wrap a rag around the s

I also wrap a rag around the shaft. I don't know how much water it keeps out but it makes it appear like less is coming out so I don't get nervous.

"Howie,

If your gonna do it

"Howie,

If your gonna do it, just be sure you go over the process in your head and have everything prepared. Measure and cut your rings of pakcing material, be sure you are equipped to remove the old stuff from up inside the gland and make sure you have the wrench with access to address it all.

Once you do the first one, you will either decide to jump in all the way with the other... OR NOT! All of the others have given great suggestions ...stuffing a rag around the shaft opening to reduce the flow is a nice one, nerves always wins out with me"

"Trust me, it ain't gonna

"Trust me, it ain't gonna be Niagara Falls coming in. The flow is surprisingly minimal.

Jeff"

"i never gave the rudder shaft

"i never gave the rudder shafts a thought. i'm getting ready to launch an 85 silverton thats been out of the water 5 years. been over the boat front to back,new everything including shaft packing but never thought about rudder shafts leaking.how are they sealed and do they need adjustment?"

"Usually, they have a packing

"Usually, they have a packing gland like the prop shafts, but these can be tightened without damage (since the shaft doesn't rotate at high speed). Mine are as tight as needed to prevent leakage--no drips allowed here--yet not bind when turning the wheel.

Jeff"

Back