Logo

Install alpha1gen II in earlier transom cutout

currenjw

"earlier cutout looks close bu

"earlier cutout looks close but has only 1 bolt at top where the gen II has 2.Former owner filled in opening. I've removed all inner plywood and balsa for rebuilding transom.
Made a template from the boat I removed the gen II from. Advice please. [email protected]"

"Since you are replacing the t

"Since you are replacing the transom do you have the dimensions of what you removed; thickness, etc.? I used solid yellow pine and epoxied it in place. Large external transom holes were used as a guide to drill holes thru the wood and bolt/clamp the FG skin to the wood. Grease the bolts, washers and nuts w/vaseline for removal.

After it set I laminated fiberglass cloth to the inside of the transom to strengthen it and attach it to the hull bottom and sides. After you cut the OD opening and drill your holes, coat the bare wood w/epoxy; redrill if needed.

For small screws used on the outside of the transom, drill slightly larger holes; 1/8" screw should have a 3/16" hole. Plug the hole tightly w/epoxy and drill 3/32" pilot hole into epoxy. Add a dab of Polyurethane sealant under the screw head."

"Thanks for the reply. The boa

"Thanks for the reply. The boat is a mid 60s Bertram Bahia Mar.After removing all bad material
from the interior of transom, the remaining is fiberglass 1/2 " thick. Original hole is evident and well filled in .It's bolt holes are clear and I've redrilled them. Template made from canniblized other boat seems to fit except for
uppermost single bolt hole being 2holes on the Gen II. Do we know that basic shape of Gen II is almost same as earlier models?
Original transom had 1/2" glass,a big inverted V
molded into transom,1/2"plywood inset there anbd 2 more layer of 1/2 " all laminated together. Total thickness of 2".
After recutting the fiberglass holes, I plan to install all plywood...then cut the wood from outside. Questions:
are the earlier cutoust that similar? What is best materiel to bond the laminations which I'l pull tight with 1/4 " machine screws and epoxy fill later."

Bond w/L&L epoxy (Layu

Bond w/L&L epoxy (Layup & Laminating). It's the right consistency for bonding. It runs like varnish so use it sparingly. Also works well w/fiberglass cloth. Today's 1/2" plywood is only 15/32".

Back