Logo

My boat zig zags at slow speed Why

lilump

"I have 1990 Caravelle runabou

"I have 1990 Caravelle runabout with 3.0 Mercruiser GM V6 engine. Bought it used years ago. It tends to zig zag to left and right at no-wake speed, so you are constantly steering left & right. If you do not react, it will soon stop turning and come most of the way back, but then often steers too far the other way. It has a Hydro Foil-type stabilizer mounted to the lower unit. I tried taking that off, but boat does not handle well without it. Any ideas? Could there be wear or play in the power steering? Thanks so much for any ideas."

They all do that. Nature of th

They all do that. Nature of the design due to slop in the gimbal ring to steering cable. Not much can be done but making sure what can be tightened is. Mine does it and always has.....1987

"it could be from steering slo

"it could be from steering slop, but I thought it was partly from the boat design, number and shape of the strakes, wind, current and being a single prop pushing"

"The further the outdrive is t

"The further the outdrive is trimmed down the less issue there is. If you have this condition when the drive is all the way down try trimming it up and see how bad it gets!!!!

Even if there was zero slop in the steering it would still wonder left and right so Brian is also correct it has some to due with hull design and many other factors.

The answer is, IT IS WHAT IT IS!"

"Wow, that's a big help. T

"Wow, that's a big help. Thanks. Indeed, now my trim switch must be screwed up, cause the trim won't go back up at all...and the zig zag problem is not as pronounced. Sigh."

"Just an additional note, If y

"Just an additional note, If you have trimtabs try setting them 'bow down' abit, the 'wag' will be abit less. Or at least thats what I've found."

"All single powered deep V boa

"All single powered deep V boats wander back and forth at that speed. Your steering is fine. Mine varies about 30 degrees, I just get headed in the correct direction and sit back and get dizzy. I like to watch the look on my wifes face as we approach a big telephone pole channel marker with my hands off the wheel (@ 800rpm's). Her eyes get big and I grin and the boat turns away right on que, just like it's been doing for the previous 1/2 mile."

Back