Dash board loom problem is driveing me mad PLEASE HELP

mcw

Contributing Member
"Engine: v/p aq430b v6
Boat:

"Engine: v/p aq430b v6
Boat: wellcraft 20 excell sports cuddy.

This is the problem

At prescent my dash board volt meter is only showing a voltage below 10nearly unreadable by the needel, i have check all voltages comeing up from the engine and all are 12v this included all fuse boxes.

takeing a reading from the back terminals on volt meter 9.73v when key turned, i then pulled off one of the two purple wires on the back of the dial and gained a full 12-13v but that stopped the fuel pump running, touched the cable in my hand back on + connector and fuel pump runs but voltage drops to 9.73v. leaving the wire off gives me good voltage to all dials.

So i then looked at the ignition switch and new kill switch and noticed that the main purple wire that is feed from the others in the dash which also comes up from the loom of the engine is very warm on K/switch side when the ignition is on, so i bybassed the kill switch and some how gained my 12-13 on voltmeter dial, but still no fuel pump running untill i re-connected the purple wire back to the volt dial + terminal, which i did but then i the dial/needle moves from mid position back to just readable ie the needel lowest point of scale (10 volt mark when tested by meter)

If i leave the k/switch out of the circuit re-connect all wires 2x to volt dial and turn key every thing works including fuel pump but the volt meter dial only gives me a reading of 10-11 volts, but if i supply a full battery voltage to dial is stays right in the middle of it travel which i assume is a reading of 12-13 volts, the actual face goes from minium 10v the half way is unmarked other than a long vertical line and max needle travel is 18v.

I am at a complete loss this has tried and tested me for other a week now and my brain is suffering i just dont know were to try next, i have got a circuit diagrame for the engine and have followed and traced circuits.

could any one please give me any advise of what else to try other than set fire to the boat.

thanks guys

mark w
united kindom"

"What is the voltage at the ba

"What is the voltage at the battery when the key is turned? It is normal that it drop somewhat when the key is turned and the electrical load of the engine (ignotion, fuel pump) is applied.

It is also normal that the voltage at the dash meter is somewhat lower than the battery voltage when the key is turned due to the loan of the meters on the dash.

If the voltage at the battery (on the posts) when the key is turned is close to what the dash meter says, then your battery is going bad.

If the voltage at the battery is OK, then you have a poor connection(s), somewhere."

"hi thanks for message, after

"hi thanks for message, after more brain training it seems that the a purple wire on the dash which is just flooting around is energizing the fuel pump when ignition key is turned, but according to my manual it should only be enegized from the the starter motor loom."

Back