Logo

Pertronix

suds

"Just a note for those of you

"Just a note for those of you who answered some of my previous posts on why my AQ170's were running bad. Thought it was carbs, fuel lines, etc. Well, it was the magnetic rotor, part of the pertronix. Would not run bad in the driveway, but in the ocean it would miss. Finally, one day it ran crappy in the driveway. Each magnet felt the same with a paper clip, but did not work the same. Changed it out, runs great. Pertronix warrantied it, no problem, but it was bad from the get go. Alot of wasted time trying to figure that out. Thanks, Ken"

"Interesting point because i h

"Interesting point because i have an issue right now where my engine runs excellent and does not backfire in the yard but when in the water, it wants to backfire above 3000 rpms....."

"I just emailed Pertronix so h

"I just emailed Pertronix so hopefully they replace my 2 month old magnet as well. Thanks for the info and definitely worth a try.

I have checked my accelerator pump on the carb, timing multiple times, the needle valve on the carb.....fun times!"

"If all the points tested the

"If all the points tested the same with a paperclip, then how did you know that some of the magnets were bad? This sounds like an important troubleshooting item. I happen to have the hot spark brand conversion kit and would be very interested in learning how to perform tests."

Well I found that i was sold a

Well I found that i was sold a 1.5 ohm coil instead of a 3ohm for my 4 cyl engine..... that was causing my backfire under load. replaced and all is awesome now!

"There is more to it than magn

"There is more to it than magnets. You could have a bad ground, low voltage, not the right coil, timing, etc. I just found my problem by dumb luck. It took a while too."

This is all good stuff. It&#39

This is all good stuff. It's hard to find accurate troubleshooting information on aftermarket products.

"I'm having problem w/my 1

"I'm having problem w/my 125 AQ A,it is starting SLLOOOOW,makes a whooppa,whoopa,whoopa sound(kind of like helicoptor)drags thru rpms,seems to catch, after working throttle,at about 2000 rpms...Until boat achieves operating temp,180-200,it idles rough then smooths out...Is this a symptom of bad Pertronix or more indicative of carb/fuel???Thanks!"

Back