Logo

Stalls under load honda Dude please advise

alexc

"I took out a boat that I had

"I took out a boat that I had been working on today for the first time. I have a 1999 Honda bf40a.
The motor was running perfect out of the water. Idleing nicely and seems to be running smooth. Even when I raise the throttle up. When I took it out today It ran fine at first, but then it stalled. I started the motor back up again, idles fine, when I put it in gear it begins to stall.
Any thoughts."

"First check for water in the

"First check for water in the fuel. Drain your bottom carb into a glass jar and check for water. If it is water, it will continue to accumulate until it does not even start. Just need to pump the tank and flush your motor's fuel system and all carburators.

Another easy thing to check is the spark plugs. If any question, change them...a cheap potential fix.

You did not say how long since the motor ran good.
Does it really idle ok? Is it possibly running on only two cylinders?

When it starts to die, have you squeezed the fuel bulb to be sure it was getting fuel?

Fuel tank vented?

Have you tried to activate the choke when it begins to stall? Unfortunately, if you have a side mount control box that has the key in it, you can not activate the choke while in gear. Have someone go back to the engine and pull the choke partially out to see if it picks up. If it does, it most likely needs a the carbs cleaned.

If you have the time you could use a shock treatment of something like Sea Foam, Quick Kleen, etc and flush your carbs and fuel system and be sure that you carbs fill with the shocked fuel. Let it sit for a few days and try it again. You may get lucky."

"Ok, I never did drain the fu

"Ok, I never did drain the fuel water seperator.
I did today. I also drained all the carbs. I found water in the seperator, as well as the carbs. I then ran it. Huge difference. I will drain the fuel tank next and re drain the carbs and the fuel/water seperator. This sounds like a good fix. Many thanks Alex"

I took out the boat today. It

I took out the boat today. It ran great!
Made sure that there was no water in the carbs and the Water fuel seperator.
Thanks Honda Dude.

Back