Logo

Pushrod Adjustment

paul_rodgers

Regular Contributor
"I have a problem with no comp

"I have a problem with no compression. I replaced the head gaskets and adjusted the pushrods or so I thought I adj. the pushrods, After I put the engine back together I could not get it started, I checked everything, and lastly the compression, nothing above 60psi. I am not sure but if pushrods are adj incorrectly they valves could be opening to soon to build pressure, or ??
I am stumped.. Any Ideals thanks in advance.."

"Intake and exhaust push rods

"Intake and exhaust push rods are different lenghts. Maybe put them in wrong?

If you suspect bad adjustment loosen them all up and retest compression.

If compression is restored then try adjusting again.

Probably did not have lifters fully pumped up with oil when adjusting???

Also many here agree it is best to only adjust enough to get started and then adjust while running, 1/2 to 3/4 turns from "no clacking"."

"Thanks, I probally got this a

"Thanks, I probally got this all wrong but will retry next week, The pushrods are the only thing that is correct. They will only go one way,
1. Lifters not pumped up
2. didn't follow firing order to adjust
??=Can I just loosen the pushrods and see if compression comes back, then try to adj while running?? Thanks Guys, I am prepared to go both ways if bad engine replace, If not bad Look Dumb, Would however take the lesser of the two Ha ha.. Thanks"

"Paul:

Its easier on all of

"Paul:

Its easier on all of us if you just use one thread for the same issue.

You've got the newer GEN-V orGEN-VI engine. It's valve train does NOT work like the older Mark IV's. The adjustment is to a given torque, using a calibrated torque wrench. In a previous post, you indicated the nuts "bottomed out". seems a bit beyond 40 FT * # too me.

Did you use a known good, in calibration torque wrench when yoou tightened the rockers??

If you have the rockers cranked down, you can inhibit the valves from seating. That will impact the valve seal which impacts compression.

Have you verified 1) spark is present at the plugs, & 2) fuel is present in the rail, & 3) that the injectors are pulsing? 60 PSI won't push the boat fast but it should run."

"I can say yes to two of those

"I can say yes to two of those spark and fuel, I did not check to see if they were pulsing, I checked each spark plug and have spark, I relieved the fuel line and it would pump back up
each time so I am assuming I am getting fuel. Battery was replaced and it seems to be turning over fast enough but it won't even try to start. The things that I am sure of is that #1 TDC and correct firing order was followed even line up pole with #1. Thanks for all your help. Paul"

"Thanks, I have a Seloc book,

"Thanks, I have a Seloc book, probally not the same but I have got about the same info out of it. Thanks I will get a merc book."

Back