Logo

Trim still wonbt work after replacing selenoids

jpolitsch

"I have a Mercruiser 3.0, Alph

"I have a Mercruiser 3.0, Alpha 1 drive. The original problem started when we put the boat in the water, the trim just clicked when we tried to lower it. It would click in both the down and up position, I also noticed some oil in the water of the starboard side of the lower unit. I took the trim pump assembly out, had the pump tested and it worked both ways. So, I figured it was the selenoids. Replaced both selenoids. I re-installed the pump assembly. I went to bleed the system and it still clicks in both the down and up positions...any ideas?

To me it sounds like the pump is turning, but the pump adapter is not moving any fluid....can the pump adapter be faulty or a valve or something?

Any help is appreciated.
Jeff"

"Hoses on the right way? Loos

"Hoses on the right way? Loosen the reservior cap a little bit. Too much fluid won't let the air out. You may need to remove a cup of fluid.

The trim motor shaft end fits into a slot to turn the pump. Remove the motor and see if you can turn the pump assy. w/a power screwdriver or drill and driver bit.

There should be some resistance when you do it and it will raise/lower the OD. If not the then pump is bad. While the motor is off, run the up/down switch to see if it spins.

When reinstalling the motor make sure the shaft fits into the slot."

"Tried both things and neither

"Tried both things and neither worked.

Using a drill to manually turning the pump assembly wouldn't raise or lower.

And when I hooked the motor up, it clicked a couple times, then made no noise at all. The shaft on the motor never turned.

When I had the motor out, it got tested w/marine mechanic and I saw it spin both ways, so I'd be surprised if it's that. But, if the motor's bad, could it be taking out selenoids?"

The small studs on the solenoi

The small studs on the solenoids are double nutted. The bottom nut has to be tight and held w/a wrench before tightening the upper nut or a loose wire condition can occur.

Remove the + cable from the battery to the pump. Check all wire connections on the assy. including the ground cable. Closely check the 120 amp fuse nuts. Try the up/down switch. If no response then jump the top studs on each solenoid. Still not working? Time for a new assy.?

another common problem with ou

another common problem with outdrive tilt is the wires from the switch to the tilt switch on the outdrive. they often break or get corroded.also there is usually a saber type inline connector just inside the transom that can corrode.

"It ended up being corrosion b

"It ended up being corrosion between the 2 battery cables on the negative post on the battery. Everything else worked fine...motor ran etc., but the trim wasn't getting a ground. I checked it but couldn't see the corrosion until I actually took the cables off. Thanks for everyone's help! Spent 10 days working on such a simple problem...unreal...but, the good thing is that it's fixed."

Back