Logo

1970 chry marine 318 dist rotation

"Hello all, I don't know a

"Hello all, I don't know about these engines. all help is appreciated.
This boat came in with a rebuilt starter and it will not start. replaced burned points,but the dist turns counter clockwise. is this correct, as my AUTO book for this engine shows a clockwise rotation. checked basics, to no avail. just obtained the original starter and will rebuild and install. PLEASE help with rotation direction (single engine) thanx, BILL"

"The 318 distributor rotates c

"The 318 distributor rotates clockwise regardless of the engine rotation. The rotation of the distributor is handled in the gearing to it so it always goes clockwise. The distributor drive gears are different for normal and reverse rotation engines. If you have not removed the distributor or replaced it , then it should be a matter of getting the right starter. You may need to pull the water pump(s) to see if the impellers are destroyed."

"Ed,
Thanks for your reply, I

"Ed,
Thanks for your reply, I finally figured it out, the engine was indeed cranking backwards. Installed the right starter and all is well.
can't figure out why it would effect the water pump, however.
Thanks again, Bill Williams"

"Bill,
The raw water pump on

"Bill,
The raw water pump on most Chrysler marine engines has a rubber impeller that is like a spline in the housing. If you turn it backwards, in many cases, the impeller will break in pieces that may find there way into the engine."

Right! Pull that sucker out a

Right! Pull that sucker out and take a look. And be sure to mark the housing carefully since it can go in two ways.

Jeff

Back