Logo

Winterization 30 mercruiser

newfiegod

"I am just wondering about the

"I am just wondering about the winterizing my 3.0 merc. The dealer told me all you have to do is unhook the two hoses for the exhaust manifold drain and the block drain which are quick connects and let them drain into the bilge and that is it, other than fogging and lubrication. He told me that when they service them there for the winter they fill the block with coolant to combat rusting...how and where do they fill this on my model? Is it necessary to fill with coolant or is draining the water good enough?"

Perhaps pouring antifreeze thr

Perhaps pouring antifreeze thru the cooling hoses or using a tank of antifreeze and letting the engine suck it thru the water inlet on the OD.

"Did my own last fall by doing

"Did my own last fall by doing what you said in your post. No problems at all this past spring. I did not use any antifreeze, just drained."

"Warm the engine to get the th

"Warm the engine to get the thermostat to open, then I like to drain the block, then run it on about 3-4 gallons of BIO-antifreeze from a 5gal jug. just a little extra insurance, but draining the block, int/exh manifold is enough providing the water doesn't get a chance to freeze first or the drains aren't rusted or blocked up."

"Thanks for the info guys!!!!I

"Thanks for the info guys!!!!I am still pondering which way I will go, Antifreeze or not but I think I have it all worked out now. One thing I cant find is the fuel filter!!!! I can find where the fuel comes from the mechanical fuel pump but from what I can feel there is not a filter there, perhaps I am expecting it to be bigger....lol. Also there is no fuel shut off valve."

"Typically there isn't a f

"Typically there isn't a fuel shut off, the fuel filter for that engine is in the dome thing on the fuel pump, loosen the screw on the dome and slide the arched arm to the side and off if you want, fuel filter and gasket is inside, I've seen crusty crud in there from time to time. You will also have a filter or screen in the fuel inlet into the carb, where the fuel line attaches. that's typically it, one step better which is highly recommended is adding a fuel water separator kit ( <$30 ) before the fuel pump."

Back