Logo

74 Litre MPI 454 Cid engine

paul_rodgers

Regular Contributor
"I have a question that I hope

"I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I adjusted the pushrods on my engine from what I got from forum and seloc book, I get about the same compression on all cylinders, All low, when I had this engine down to block it looked good..Could I have messed up the adjusting of the pushrods to cause this?? Thanks"

What generation of 7.4 do you

What generation of 7.4 do you have. That link is assuming you have an early model. Later models are non-adjustable.

By the way - Welcome aboard Andrew and thanks for sharing.

"Paul D. Rodgers
I think you&

"Paul D. Rodgers
I think you'll find that the guys that adjust hydraulic lifters for a living, do it while the engine is warm and running.
JMHO
Bert"

"I have a gen VI 7.4 litre 454

"I have a gen VI 7.4 litre 454 big block. I had this engine completly apart and then reasembled, I have tried everything and to no avail, it looks like I will need a new rebuild kit, still low compression."

"I am so so in the mechanical

"I am so so in the mechanical dept. but thing has kicked my A_._. I am the guy that can fix anything but I guess I have alot to learn about engines. I have learned so much from you guys on the forum, I feel dumb. I have a 28' Crusier and for ten years I have had no problems with it. But do one stupid thing and your rebuilding the engine. I live in South Carolina and my boat is in Mississippi, So I have a challenge with time.
The wife hates it but life is as it is. Some things are just important to me. It is where I go to be alone and fish. Three or four times a year. Thanks for all your help I have a complete rebuild kit in hand and next month weather permitting I will spend two weeks rebuilding it. I will have my computer and I will definetly be asking for help.. Thanks Guys your great."

"Thanks Andrew for the imput b

"Thanks Andrew for the imput but Rick is correct, as I have a gen VI engine they are just torqued to 45ft lbs. Glad you are on the forum it is a great place to learn, by the way nice imput. Thanks
Paul"

"Now I have a question for you

"Now I have a question for you guys, When I overheated my engine, I got water back thru the flappers, But didn't know it at the time, locked up as a result, got it freed up but I must have damaged the rings. Now to the guestion, Should I have the engine rebored or just rebuild it? It looked very good on the inside."

"Paul, you can check the bore,

"Paul, you can check the bore, unless it had rust in it, it is probably not oversize but may be out of round.

What compression readings are you getting? These later generation engines don't have the 175+ readings like the older ones."

"Rick, I have compression in t

"Rick, I have compression in the 60's on all cyl, I had some minor rust but it cleaned up real easy, I havn't checked the bore dia yet. Was hoping after I got it freed up it would run, my bad, ha ha no such luck.."

"Paul
You don't say what

"Paul
You don't say what you did when you disassembled the engine. Did you deglaze the cylinders, install new rings? Or did you just put it back together with no new parts. Inquiring minds need to know. also have you done a wet and dry compression test?
Bert"

"Paul, I would tear it all the

"Paul, I would tear it all the way down. That rust that got on the cylinders also got on the wrist pins. With use, that will cut the pin bore in the piston and you'll be taking it back apart anyway to cure a knock. How did the head/valves look?"

"Bert I just put it back toget

"Bert I just put it back together!! Yes I did do a wet and dry compression test, when the wet was done the cyl went to 85-90 no more and a couple even lower. Thanks"

Back