Logo

Engine running but dead tachometer

stownsend

"Morning all

I've final

"Morning all

I've finally got my AQ151A (250) running, thanks for the help along the way. All my gauges work, ie temp, oil pressure, volt except the RPM gauge. Its a volvo penta one, black face with cream back. There are 3 cable spades, -, + and 1. According to the wiring diagram purple goes on +, black goes on the 1 (GND) and grey on the - (S). I have tried different combinations but neither work, it still stays dead.

I've checked the coil and 2 wires, purple on the + and grey on the -.

Any ideas or should I try and get a replacement ?

Cheers

Stu"

"Any generic tachometer of the

"Any generic tachometer of the same size will work. If you think it is dead, take it with you to any marine store as a sample.

The normal connection should be (on the tachometer's back): Grey from S to (-) of the coil; purple from + to the ignition switch; and black, from (-) to ground. Check with a volt meter that between the purple and ground you get 12V, for the problem may be as simple as a blown fuse."

"ALl the cables and fuses are

"ALl the cables and fuses are checked, the boat is currently being completly refurbished and the engine installed.

I think one of the spades on the back of the meter may be loose. I'm going to strip it down and have a look this weekend !

Cheers

Stu"

"managed to get hold of an aq1

"managed to get hold of an aq171 gauge, so far it shows a reading, any ideas on the settings for the number on the back ?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Stu"

Back