Logo

43GL sudden stoppage wonbt start

llavalle

"I've got a 2007 Regal Bow

"I've got a 2007 Regal Bowrider 1900 with a 4.3 GL penta sterndrive. We don't take it often, it only has 33h on the counter.

I was driving it this afternoon : everything was normal. I overtook another boat and when I relaxed the throttle to make a turn, the engine stopped while making a big "TOC", only one "TOC". Then the low-oil pressure buzzer came on : the engine was stopped, nothing surprising about that..

At first, I thought that the kill cord was pulled accidentally : nope. Engine temp was in the green, everything looked normal. Trimmed the drive up to inspect for damage, everything fine there too. Spun the prop while in neutral and it spins free.

Checked the oil : level is correct, looks new

Tried to start but it would not move. I could hear a "TOC" but nothing : the crankshaft would not bulge. Got a tow...

I suspected the alternator to be stuck : nope, it spins fine. I did not have time to try and turn the crankshaft, I had to get home.

Do you have any idea what might be the problem? Its a low time engine and the winterization was done by a professional including the oil change, spark plug change. We got it out of storage (for winter) 3 months ago and we're still on the first tank of gas for this season.

I've got 2 theory :
1-The alternator stopped working or got disconnected. We ran on the battery for a while and now it stopped. That would not explain the "TOC" when it stopped...

2-The starter stayed engaged (stuck bendix) and ran with the engine until the bearings quit and it stopped the engine with it. Now it won't start cause the starter is shot. That would make more sense since when I try to start it, I can look at the belt and it does not move at all.

I won't be able to check anything on the boat until next Sunday. My mom will check the battery voltage tomorrow while she's still around the boat.

Any idea?"

"I HOPE I AM WRONG...........I

"I HOPE I AM WRONG...........IT SOUNDS LIKE THE ENGINE HAD A CATASTROPHIC MECHANICAL FAILURE. YOU NEED TO TRY AND TURN THE CRANK BY HAND. AS FAR AS THE STARTER AND ALTERNATOR ARE CONCERNED, IF THE ALTERNATOR FROZE UP IT WOULD PROBABLY BREAK THE BELT, AND THE STARTER IS DESIGNED SO THAT THERE IS NO REAL WAY IT COULD STAY ENGAGED WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. SORRY........"

I'm just back from the mec

I'm just back from the mechanics : the was a problem with the lower seal in the drive. It lost all the oil and the drive is damaged.

The engine is fine. The engine and drive are still under waranty (7years...) We'll see if that is covered.

Thanks for the input.

You actually can drive with th

You actually can drive with the starter engaged. I did it a few times when my key would be accidentally stuck in the "Start" position. You don't notice it when you're driving; however you hear an unusual (starter) sound when running on neutral.

Back