Logo

Ted Broderick question for you on cleaning oil coolers

rmm

Regular Contributor
"Read your post and sounds lik

"Read your post and sounds like you cleaned them without removing. Wondering if would tell me exactly how you did it, how long let soak and mixture of acid/water used, also was muratic acid?

Thinking can get some spare hose and hook to both ends so can pour in and then flush out into bucket.

Thanks

Ryan"

"RM

use the search function

"RM

use the search function with key words COOLER and ACID, change the match to AND (vs OR), and search the CRUSADER postings and you'll find a wealth on this topic."

"hey, no problem

I disconne

"hey, no problem

I disconnected the water intake hoses into the coolers. Went to the hardware and bought some clear plastic hose of the same diameter so I could pour acid in and out. I had one hose go above deck so I could funnell in the acid, and the other hose drain into a five gallon bucket.

I Backflushed the cooler to get any shells and easy crap out, I then SLOWLY poured the acid down the upper tube into the cooler, put a rag over the top of the hose and blew into it to empty the hose (sketchy I know...).

Let the acid cook for 12-15 minutes, and then purge with water through the hose for 5-7 minutes. I took an old strainer and poured out the five gallon bucket (which had dark black acid sludge water in it) and looked at the big huckd of crap that came out.

So far the engines have run 113 hours, at 170 degrees with a 2 foot steam trail!! Cost me about 40 bucks to do both engines!!!

Any other questions let me know!"

Back