Logo

ESA INTERRUPTER SWITCH AND MODULE QUESTION

jfaz

"I HAVE 1990 OMC COBRA 4.3L &#

"I HAVE 1990 OMC COBRA 4.3L (M#432APRPW5),CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW TO TEST THE ESA SWITCH AND SHIFT ASSIST MODULE, BECOUSE IS TO HARD TO SHIFT OR NO SHIFT ARE ALL WHEN IS UNDER LOAD,WHEN IS OUTSIDE WHATER OR ENGINE OFF SWITH PERFET. TKS,FOR YOUR HELP"

start motor in neutral and fi

start motor in neutral and find switch located on shift cable bracket with a arm on it that fits inside a "v" and depress it. If the motor RPM's don't drop the Shift assist module is most likely Faulty. This is usally 90% of the time the problem for not being able to shift in and out neutral.

"Would just like to add a bit

"Would just like to add a bit to Tom's answer, if the ESA test doesn't work, it's possible it's the module but there are a few other things I would check before buying a new one, the other switch (overstroke) is wired in series with the interrupt switch, it must be working in the closed position for the ESA to work. Make sure there is no corrosion inside the 2 black connectors. Check all wires that are soldered to the switches, make the overstroke switch actually switches, some guys tighten the 2 screws so much it binds. Also there is a 2 wire plug on the ESA, the purple wire must feed 12v to the ESA and lastly in the wiring harness there is a ground lug that must be securely fastened to ground for the ESA to work."

Back