Logo

My Volvo wonbt rev help

macky

"I have twin Volvo Turbo Diese

"I have twin Volvo Turbo Diesels TMD22 (78hp) in my motorboat which I bought this year. Both engines have done about 1000 hrs. I had new injectors and cambelts fitted when I bought the boat as recommended in the survey - engine compression test was fine. Both engines have good oil pressure and run well but one will rev smoothly to 4500rpm and the other only reaches 3500rpm. The engineer who serviced them said that the problem could be the turbo on the low revving engine and could be expensive to fix and best left alone. I normally cruise at 2500rpm so it is not a major problem but I am not sure whether I should live with it or try and get it sorted out. What do you think? All comments and views welcome - Best wishes, Macky"

"I would have it checked out,

"I would have it checked out, If a turbo fails completely you risk oil leaks direktly into the intake, causing ucontrollable revving (as if you go full throttle, but cant stop). An easy way to check your turbo is to check for play in the shaft. A little "up and down" is allowed, but in and out is bad. Compare the two turbos you have If youre insecure.."

"Hi Robert,
Many thanks - I w

"Hi Robert,
Many thanks - I will check the turbos as you suggest - advice much appreciated"

"Hi guys,
I am contemplating

"Hi guys,
I am contemplating buying a yacht with a Volvo TMD 22 in it, Problem is it has been partialy submerged in fresh (rain) water and I have been told that these engines are as tough as old boots and was wondering if anyone could throw some light on it for me? I am pretty sure that the starter motor and alternator will be shot and working on the assumption that no water entered the sump, I hope the engine will be ok? It has not been run since it got wet.
Any help or advice anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated as I am going to see the boat this weekend.

Cheers. Richard."

Back