Logo

AQ 130 C Gimbal Bearing

1968rambler

Can someone please tell me the

Can someone please tell me the easiest way to replace the gimbal bearing in my AQ 130 C? Bellows had a rip when I purchased the 1968 Silverline rambler and I believe the Gimbal bearing is now bad> Shutters when turning.

"From my perspective, the easi

"From my perspective, the easiest and safest way is to pull the engine, remove the bellhousing, pull the primary drive shaft, then change the bearing.

Other people favour attempting to replace it from behind without pulling the engine. While that system may work, you cannot access and replace the front lip seal, and you cannot guarantee that the pilot bearing int he flywheel will not drop while you attempt to remove the PDS (the pilot bearing is supposed to be secured with a circlip, but I have seen those becoming loose/corroded and dropping)."

"Thanks a bunch for the info,

"Thanks a bunch for the info, what a pain this is to replace. What is the best way to get the bearing out of the bell housing, and also the best way to get the engine back into place to attach it back through the stern? One more,,,,,How difficult are the CV joints to replace, and mine seem fine, should I just leave well enough alone?}"

"The Primary Drive Shaft beari

"The Primary Drive Shaft bearing will be p/n 6206 and can be purchased from a good bearing supplier. The seal is a 35x62x7mm.
I agree that there may be a risk of the crankshaft bearing becoming loose, but I'd sure think that this is worth trying.
Probe the area with a bore scope if worried.

The shaft will often come out AFT if there is no severe corrosion in/at the existing shaft/bearing area.

I've fought tough ones that seemed near impossible....., and I've had them come out easily!
I've also gotten them with a large vice grip pliers clamped onto the shaft.
You won't damage the hard shaft in any way that a good file won't be able to clean up.

If worried about the front seal (of which I'd not get overly concerned with.... again, use a bore scope), install a sealed bearing and block the grease port temporarily!
The sealed bearing part # will be succeeded by a C1 or similar.
(Same bearing, just externally sealed.)
Consider this a temporary bearing that won't take any grease for the next 150/200 hours on the clock.
Then change it again.... you'll be good at it by then! LOL

If the shaft will come out aft for you, it will sure save you a substantial amount of time.

."

Back