Logo

Engine breaker problem

billd123

"I have and intermittent probl

"I have and intermittent problem with my engine main circuit breaker.
It is 2002 Crusader (carb) xl 350 cid engine.

Once in a while (sometimes once a month, sometimes twice a day) the main engine breaker will pop.
This only happens after the ignition is shut off. It never happens when the engine is running.
I can't see any apparent wiring problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
Bill"

"Bill:

Besides the breaker

"Bill:

Besides the breaker going bad - not common , but does happen, here's the other items that come to mind....

the only thing on the protected side of the breaker, on the engine, is the alternator. The other 'source' could be something tied in to the 'battery' lead in the harness, going up to the instrument panel.

If it happens again, I'd reset it and then run as usual. Once the engine is shutdown, I'd unhook the wiring harness connector. If the breaker trips then, its either the alternator or the wiring harness connecting the alternator.

If the breaker doesn't trip with the harness disconnected, then the problem is likely to be something up at the instrument panel.

Have you done an inspection on the wiring - those breakers are 50 amps and I would think any intermittent short would be pretty easy to see."

"Thanks for your quick reply.

"Thanks for your quick reply. I will check out the connections to the alternator etc. I know that 50 amp is hard to blow. Especially I really don't know it pops until I go to start and everything is dead. As soon as I reset the breaker it fires right up even if I leave the ignition on and reset the breaker I immediately get the start warning buzzer and when I start it, it fires right up.

I'll check the items you suggest and post what happens.
thanks again"

"Also, one 'trick' tha

"Also, one 'trick' that may help, if the hand check. Even a 10 ga wire carrying 50+ amps will get warm. Especially true for a bad connection; they get very hot....maybe an IR temp gun would be beneficial, if available.

You probably also want to check the alternator output, when running. If the regulator is driving the voltage up, the current will rise directly. The breaker popping could be occurring right after you turn off the key...maybe a few restarts would be in order?"

Thanks for your suggestions. I

Thanks for your suggestions. I have not had the problem the last few times I've been out and the tests have been negative. If I can duplicate it. (I hope not) I will post back. Thanks again for your time and assistance.
Bill

Back