Logo

Merc 50 wonbt start

cruzman

"Hi Guys. I bought a 1994 sear

"Hi Guys. I bought a 1994 searay 230 that was sunk.I pickled the engine and pulled it.The boat also has an Alpha drive.A friend borrowed the ignition module from the back of the distributer so I jury rigged another type of module and actually had the engine running. Got the correct module back, installed it on the back of the dist and the engine won't start. No spark from the coil.I have the engine set up on the floor with a battery hooked up and 12v to the + side of the coil.Any ideas of what to look for would be much appreciated."

"Tests for Thunderbolt Ignitio

"Tests for Thunderbolt Ignition:

W/ignition key on AND BILGE WELL VENTILATED OF GAS FUMES!!!

Check the kill switch first!

#1 - Connect your voltmeter neg. lead to the engine ground and pos. lead to the white/red wire terminal at the dist. It should read 12 volts.

#2 - If 12 volts are present, remove the coil spark wire from the distributor and connect it to a spark gap tester to ground. Remove the white/green lead from the dist. terminal. Turn the ign. key to on and strike the white/green lead to ground. If there is spark, replace the ignition sensor in the dist.

#3 - If there is no spark, substitute a new coil and repeat test #2. Now if you get spark, install a new coil. NO SPARK, replace ign. amp.

#4 - In #2, if there is No voltage present, disconnect the white/red wire and check it again for 12 volts. If 12 volts is present, replace the ignition sensor inside the dist. cap. If no 12 volts present w/it disconnected--ignition amplifier is shot and must be replaced."

"Thanks. I did replace the coi

"Thanks. I did replace the coil and I will do the test you sent. As I look into this further, it looks like My friend may not have returned everything. The illistrated parts diagram shows a couple of brackets and a knock sensor that are no where to be found."

That's what friends are fo

That's what friends are for; isn't it? They borrow it until you come and get it. My farmer friend that lets me hunt told me the other day that he loaned out one of his 4 tractors; he just realized that was 3 years ago. Said he's going over to get it.

With 12v at the + coil ter

With 12v at the + coil terminal I also have 12v at the neg terminal.Ipulled the connectors to the dist and there is no power.Its like there is power to the icm but no power out.

Back