Logo

50 MPI mercruiser with Bravo II repower

damiang

"Hi All

I am looking to rep

"Hi All

I am looking to repower a 20ft boat with a 5.0 MPI mercruiser with bravo II.

Was wondering if a second hand engine in good condition with 400hrs ia a viable investment. The workshop will waranty the work and engine/leg combo so this gives some peace of mind.

My reason for asking is I am looking to buy a boat with a blown motor (volvo penta v6 with 280 leg) and was offered a deal on doing a repower with a 5.0 MPI Mercruiser with bravo II leg.

I like the idea of having a new engine in a boat, so buying a boat with a blown engine and fixing it removed a lot of doubt, but the thought of having much newer mercruiser (late 90's) verses 1984 volvo is also appealing.

The engine will have 400hrs and come with warranty. Does this leave plenty of life left in it.

cheers
Damian"

""...5.0 MPI Mercruiser wi

""...5.0 MPI Mercruiser with bravo II leg...engine in good condition with 400hrs ia a viable investment. Does this leave plenty of life left in it."

Will you be happy w/5.0L, 220 HP in a 20' boat? What is the warranty? You have "0" knowledge about the engine and its service. Was it repaired? What are the cylinder's compression?
Just things I would ask about.

I would want a 5.7L. "Tis' better to have a Clydesdale pulling the wagon than to have a pony workin' its little derriere off.""

"Currently has a little 229 ch

"Currently has a little 229 chev v6. Not after a racing boat so the 5.0 should be enough. I believe the MPI 5.0 is rated at 260hp and the carby 5.0 makes 220hp. This will be my first boat. I've got 5 kids including a couple of teenagers so was after a boat about this size.

I'm also thinking about fuel economy as I intend to take it offshore and better economy will give a better range.

The warranty is 3mths on parts and labour. You only get 12mths on a brand new one, so I didn't think that was unreasonable. Plan to do lots of "testing" in that time to find any weak spots. Also, these engines are commonly available at the moment and are fairly cheap. Mercruiser in Australia are currently running some pretty good specials so this is leaving good engines left over from upgrades.

If well cared for how many hours can you expect these to go between rebuilds.

cheers
Damian"

Back