Logo

Alpha 1 Drive using oil

al_b

"Hey everyone! New to the sit

"Hey everyone! New to the site, been cruising around and haven't really seen anything relevant to my problem, or situation. I have a new (08) 3.0L/Alpha 1 outdrive that seems to be using drive lube, slowly. There is no visable signs of external leakage, the drive does not have water in it and the boat has 18hrs on it. When I bought it, (I never thought of it at the time) the drive lube reservoir was completely full, not between the MAX and MIN lines. It has now used, or displaced the lube to be just above the MIN line. I plan on seeing my stealership on this, but would like to know your thoughts on what could be causing this, as I would like to be somewhat informed on what could be the problem before I drop the boat off. Would it be possible that the tech who filled the drive in the very first place, (or didn't fill it up) only put some lube in and then filled the reservoir to "Full" to "fill it up" as it was used?...or is this completely normal for this to happen and I just wasted time on this mini novel? Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance
"

Only 2 places for oil to go..

Only 2 places for oil to go.. into the water and into the upper bellows. Could be it wasn't filled properly (from bottom to top with the drive off)

"Though now re-reading, that a

"Though now re-reading, that amount of loss hmm.. I would fill and continue to monitor of course."

"Normal with a new boat.

Wh

"Normal with a new boat.

When a new boat is rigged for the first time the outdrive comes with one container of lube. The outdrive is installed on theboat and the lube is put in the res.

Once the boat is used the air in the outdrive is displace with the lube from the res until it is full enough not to allow anymore. If you notice after a few more hours, say 20-50 t and the level has dropped morethan 1/2 of what it is now then be concerned.!"

Back