Logo

Trim Question

tommy1995

"Just a quick question, and so

"Just a quick question, and sorry but I'm a noob. I put my IMP at a marina today because I got really tired of having to launch it on the ramp everytime I want to go out on the water. While at the dock the motor kept lifting up and you could hear some kind of short that was causing it to go up as soon as I would put it down. I think it is a bad switch but my question is if I have the motor trimmed all the way down and don't plan on going anywhere shallow or trying to take it out of the water is there any reason why I couldn't put the motor all the way down and then disconnect the hydraulic system power while its down so that it would not have the power to come back up. I just need a temporary fix while it go out over the weekend. so guess what Im asking is there is no reason why I couldn't put the trim all the way down and just go out on the lake is there ?"

Is this a Cobra drive? Theore

Is this a Cobra drive? Theoretically I can see no problem with removing the power to the trim system temporarily. Although some use their trim while underway (on plane) to maximize the angle of the boat for greatest efficiency and speed) And as you say "stay out of shallow water"

"lol told you I was a noob. I

"lol told you I was a noob. I just bought this boat and have been out on the water a few times and so I dont know alot about boats. What is a cobra drive? The few times I have had it out I never adjusted the trim, I have always just had it all the way down. Im not comfortable about going too fast yet."

Then you should be fine for th

Then you should be fine for the weekend but I would get it looked at as soon as you can. OMC had drives called "Stringers" up to about 1985 and then they changed the design to be more like Mercruisers. You tell them easily by looking at the rear (transom) of your boat from the outside. The Stringers have a large black rubber boot (seal) going around them where they go through the transom. The Cobra's have 2 external hydraulic trim rams (1 on each side).

Then I think I have a Cobra be

Then I think I have a Cobra because it does have 2 external trim rams. Thanks for the help and the info !

Just looked at your profile an

Just looked at your profile and for engine you've got 454 Mercury ???? If that's true then you may want to post any new threads in the Mercruiser section.

Back