Logo

74 Litre MPI 454 Cid engine

paul_rodgers

Regular Contributor
"Well I guess it's engine

"Well I guess it's engine time, Did compression test on all cyl, #1 60, #2 60 #3 60 #4 45 #5 60
#6 43, #7 30 #8 60 psi. I am not the greatest mechanic in the world but could not get this thing to fire over.. Had spark at plugs timing right. So all I can say is low compression no combustion.. Any Ideal!!"

How did you adjust those pushr

How did you adjust those pushrods?

I guess you got the longer intake ones figured out?

Did you test the valves' seating/sealing when the heads were off?

"I Kinda went by all the info

"I Kinda went by all the info that I got from you guys on this forum, I put #1 Cyl to TDC then Adj to 40ft lbs then #2 Then #3 and so on, But as I was doing this The rockers had a shoulder bolt so I bottomed the bolt out and adj for 40ft lbs.
I don't know how That could be messed up but who knows?? Thanks I guess I can try it again and see what I come up with. The heads on this motor looked very good. Yes sealing when off. Please give me somewhere to look Thanks Paul.."

"If you checked the heads and

"If you checked the heads and they were true and the valves did not leak and the head gasket is on ok, then the rocker arm nuts probably weren't done correctly. you could alway back them off half a turn & see if the compression comes up."

"Thanks, I am back in SC at th

"Thanks, I am back in SC at the present time, I will call my son and have him do just that, I will get back to you as soon as I know something!! Thanks Paul"

"Paul,

Pushrod adjustment i

"Paul,

Pushrod adjustment is generally done two ways:

1. (Messy) While the engine is running and the valve covers off, tighten the nut until the lifters stop chattering.

2. (Clean) Engine off. Set #1 cyl to full intake lift, then tighten the nut on #6 until you cannot spin the pushrod between your fingers. Do this for all opposite cylinders in the firing order.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/adjusting-valve-lash-spg-149.html"

Back