Logo

Engine coupler types

greywolfip

"ok i have spent days on the n

"ok i have spent days on the net looking for an answer for this, i have a merc 4.3 1987 triangle coupler 14 inch flywheel, new couplers come with a extension on them for the grease point, my original does not, ? will my drive shaft work with the new coupler, or need to replace.
i bought this boat because of problem once outdrive off splines looked great but NO grease never been greased the owner never knew to grease them lol alignment was spot on, just no lube, no splines on coupler, any help would be great
Thanks guys
Reed"

"Ayuh,... It Should be a plug

"Ayuh,... It Should be a plug & play swap....

Outdrive input shafts are All the same nowadays..."

well that answered my question

well that answered my question.
now i can get to work lol. its getting hot here and the fish are jumping.
Thanks Guys for the help
Reed Nielson

The new coupler design is a re

The new coupler design is a result of merc going to sealed Ujoints that do not require grease. Because of this they put a grease fitting at the coupler to grease the splines.

Although the sealed ujoints eliminated the need to pull the outdrive every year and service it it also has left the visual and Preventitive part out and thus if the grease fitting on the coupler cant be reached or forgotten the same sinerio will occur in many boats as what cant be seen or reached is left out!!!

I would reccomend that the outdrive be removed annually on any merc just to be sure all transom and other parts are in good working order.

It only takes a couple of hours for a summer of peace of mind!!

Back