Logo

MerCruiser 30L 1996 will not start

dustin

"Hello everyone, I am new to t

"Hello everyone, I am new to this site, and boating in general. I just bought a 1996 Bayliner 1750LS Capri in excellant condition two weeks ago. The previous owner said the boat has been sitting in storage most of its life and has been used less than 20 times and looks it. I have had it on the lake several times. My problem is the engine will not start, it will turn over, everytime, but will not start. I have done the following testing.

1. Followed the fuel path from the fuel pump to the carb, cleaned the fuel filter, and gas is getting to the carb. I have tried starting the engine with starting fluid.
2. Tested the battery and installed a new marine grade battery rated for the boat.
3. removed the distributor cap and there was corrosion on the posts, cleaned the corrosion off.
4. All of the plugs & coil are getting spark, but the the color of spark is a orginish\yellow color. I thought it should be blue in color. I have also replaced the spark plugs.
5. press the re-set button on the engine.
6. checked all of fuses under the dash and they are good.
7. checked the wires going to the inginition key
8. the lanard kill switch is set to the run position.

I would appreciate any advice you can give me. This boat ran perfect and all of sudden it will not start. I know very little about electronics, but do have a meter and can test if instructed on what to do."

""...distributor cap and t

""...distributor cap and there was corrosion on the posts, cleaned the corrosion off...the color of spark is a orginish\yellow color"

Clean the flame arrestor. Check for 12 vdc at the coil. If it's there; change the cap, rotor and coil and plug wires (one wire at a time). If the spark does not improve; change the coil.

Does the carb throttle when pulled cause two stong squirts of fuel to discharge into the carb throat?

How old is the fuel? Is there a canister fuel/water separator? Electric fuel pump?"

"Yes the carb does throttle wh

"Yes the carb does throttle when pulled. It is not squirting gas its more like trickling a good amount of gas into the throat. The fuel is new straight gas. I do not have any kind of water separator, but that will be my next project, good idea. The fuel pump is mechanical. I will give these suggustion a try this weekend, and let you know how it goes. Thank you for your ideas and direction!!"

"I have checked with my local

"I have checked with my local boat store and they don't have the parts in stock for the cap, rotor, coil, but due have the wires. Can you recommend an online store that I can order my parts from. Hoping they will be cheaper, too."

"You can order from this site

"You can order from this site or find a NAPA near you. Get a fuel filter/water separator on quickly. Get a few 10 micron filters. The debris in the tank has been dislodged and is getting into the carb. The carb needs a minimum of an accellerator pump; better to rebuild it.

Below is a Merc. ignition parts diagram to get the PNs from. Try the wire set first before ordering anything else.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=80987096&ivar=images/COMM ON/8164.png&inbr=2330&bnbr=50&bdesc=EST+Ignition+Components

Carb diagram See items # 12 & 14. (accel. pump and needle and seat kit) Click the PN to enlarge the pic. #14 has the top gasket and needle and seat. Replace those parts and check the float settings. While it is apart fill the bowl w/ SeaFoam and let it sit several hours before starting it.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=80987096&ivar=images/COMM ON/8166.png&inbr=2330&bnbr=70&bdesc=Carburetor%28Mercarb%29"

Back