Logo

57 GL OIL LOSS

sgnt_pepper

Hi there I am looking for some

Hi there I am looking for some advice on my 5.7GL. I am noticing my oil quantity dropping alot and it appears to me that it is coming out of the exhaust. Is this as I expect definatly an engine out job to inspect the block for piston ring damage or cylinder wear or is there something else I can check out first. Any help or advice will be great welcomed.

"Prior to consider pulling the

"Prior to consider pulling the engine, I would start running a compression and a leak-down test on all cylinders."

"Thanks for your reply, I have

"Thanks for your reply, I have checked the plugs they seem ok. I will carry out a compression check in the morning any chance you know what psi I should expect from each cylinder"

"I would expect 140-160 psi, b

"I would expect 140-160 psi, but you should be more concerned with having one or more cylinders with much lower compression than all the others. If that is the case, then you have to determine what is causing the problem (broken piston rings, perforated piston, blown head gasket, etc).

Another thing to keep in mind. If your engine has an oil cooler, it may have a perforated tube."

"Hi again thanks for the advis

"Hi again thanks for the advise, I finally got round to checking the compression today. The right side of pistons were all about 140 psi and the left side were all about 125 psi bearing in mind that the engine is about 15 years old would you say that these figures were acceptable?. My engine doesn't seem to have a oil cooler there is a hose going from the oil filter area into the thermostat and another oil line coming out of the thermostat back into the engine which I assume is the oil cooling method, would it be possible there is a seal leaking oil into the cooling water?"

Back