Logo

Tohatsu 98

popeye59

In the course of me researchin

In the course of me researching a new kicker motor for my boat I watched a couple of Youtube videos focused on the Tohatsu 9.8. One thing that I noticed was they seem loud and seem to vibrate quite a bit for a small 4-stroke. Is this just the quality of the video or is this an issue with the Tohasu motors.

"its an issue with any 2-cylin

"its an issue with any 2-cylinder 4-stroke regardelss of brand. But vibration and noise level are subjective things to measure. What you may think is loud and/or shaky, may not seem like it to someone else. The biggest misconception of 4-strokes is that they are all smooth and whisper quiet. Quiet? Yes, at idle they are. But any 4-stroke outboard regardless of size or brand is going to be louder at WOT than at idle. Smooth...a 3-cylinder, 4-cylinder, 6-cylinder is definitely smooth. A 1-cylinder and 2-cylinder motor...not so much. So to answer your question, is this an issue with Tohatsu motors. No, not Tohatsu per se. It's an issue with ALL small 4-stroke outboards. And again, it's really on your point-of-view and your expectations. If you expect a completely quiet, completely smooth 2-cylinder motor, you'll be disappointed regardless of which one you buy."

"I guess I should have quantif

"I guess I should have quantified my statement. The Tohatsu seemed to be louder and vibrate MORE than the Honda I currently have on my boat and was wondering if maybe it was the quality of the video, etc. Of course if I could find a fuel pump for my old Honda, I wouldn't be in the market for a new motor in the first place."

"Frank,

As you suspect, a v

"Frank,

As you suspect, a video/audio clip is virtually worthless. You would have to have your particular Honda, in the same clip, in order to compare one with other. Everything from background noise to microphone position would have an impact. I'm surprised you mentioned vibration though. We never have anyone complain about vibration on the two or three cylinder models as they are virtually vibration free compared to two strokes of the same size. I have run all brands in that range and I don't think any of them are any worse than another for vibration or noise."

"That's sort of what I was

"That's sort of what I was thinking. I also asked on a fishing forum about the Tohatsu motors and of the 20 some replies, none of them were negative. It looks like I'll be repowering with a Tohatsu. Is there anything bad about ordering one via the internet, like Onlineoutboards or Internetoutboards? I like the $0.00 tax and free shipping."

"Well, since I work for intern

"Well, since I work for internetoutboards that would be my first choice
There is no draw back to purchasing an engine from a non-local source unless the local dealer is some kind of a$$ wipe who will punish you for not getting it through him. Unfortunately that has been known to happen. I loathe dealers who treat people like traitors when they don't get their business. I would give the local guy an opportunity to match the delivered price. They can and still make money. If they don't, buy elsewhere whether its from us or another dealer down the street."

"I found a place offering a br

"I found a place offering a brand new 2008 MFS9.8B2 for $1695.00. I can't find out what the B2 means. A's, yes, but not B's. Before I make an offer I would like to know what the B means."

""MFS9.8B2"...No such

""MFS9.8B2"...No such thing.

A=2003
A2=2004 and 2005
A3= 2006 and newer

Is it a short, long, ultra-long, manual or electric?"

It says 2008 Tohatsu 9.8 hp. 1

It says 2008 Tohatsu 9.8 hp. 15 MFS9.8B2. I'm guessing the 15 means a short shaft as in 15". So using the codes you provided even A2 would be wrong with a 2008. I plan on emailing them anyhow.

"Also it didn't say manual

"Also it didn't say manual/electric but I'm guessing unless this is used, at that price it would be manual"

New ones are under $1700.00 so

New ones are under $1700.00 so that would be high for a manual start. Could it be a 9.9 instead of one of the 9.8s?

"I suppose it could be anythin

"I suppose it could be anything but aren't the 9.9's older ones. Looking at the picture (if that is correct) it looks brand new. Of course it also looks like a standard stock manufacturers photos so I guess that doesn't mean anything really either. New ones through internet purchasing are under $1700.00. This is a marine store and could be subject to their mark up too. I am sending them an email later tonite asking about the "B" and year and if they can match your online delivered price. If not, you can expect to see an order for one to be sent to Zion, IL."

"Probably what the guy has is

"Probably what the guy has is the MFS9.9B2 not 9.8hp. Tohatsu used to sell the 9.9 4str which was based off the 15hp block (and weighs the same as the 15hp...110+ lbs). The "B2" is just the "version" of the motor. The Tohatsu models will usually have a letter on the very end like MFS9.9B2S or MFS9.9B2L. The "S" & "L" is for Short & Long shaft. You can get more info on this model by visiting the Tohatsu website at www.tohatsu.com and go to the "Owner's Manuals" section. The PDF copy of the manual has all the specs on this model. Tohatsu currently sells only the 9.8hp model now (less weight)

As Elvin said you might as well give your local dealer a shot at your business first before going online to buy a motor. But if you do buy online, I would recommend Elvin's website internetoutboards.com. His prices are very competitive and usually within a dollar or two of onlineoutboards.com. But you might as well support the guy that supports forums like this one.
thumbs_up.gif
"

"2007 Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke. Is

"2007 Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke. Issue is when you start the motor and let it idle after warm up the idle appears to increase rpms as if a switch was thrown. The same thing will happen if you are running it at 1/3 throttle it suddenly has higher output ( rpm ).Carb is always run dry after use, fuel is always fresh ( left over fuel is sent to my lawn mower ), fresh fuel put in tank before use, fuel filter new. It acts as if it is ignition problem. The local dealer always wants to clean carb for all problems. This was the recommended repair for what turned out to be a faulty prob hub. Do the ignition modules or systems occasionally have issues like this. I feel as if it has been loosing power gradually. I will return to dealer in fall but I am curious. Any thoughts. Thanks."

"Do the ignition modules o

"Do the ignition modules or systems occasionally have issues like this"

No

If the RPM is increasing without a visible reason then I would suspect:

Bad prop hub
Cavitation
Gear issue in lower unit

Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke idle issu

Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke idle issue.Thanks for the feedback. This condition will also occur with the motor sitting idling in nuetral. It sounds as if a high idle just kicked in.

That would eliminate the mecha

That would eliminate the mechanical system leaving only the fuel system or ignition system. I would suggest having your dealer contact Tohatsu for guidance or you can contact them yourself at 972-323-6003.

Back