Logo

1996 BF90A Turque Values Cylinder Head Gasket

toolnround

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
sad.gif
I Just purchased a 1996 BF90A from a local dealer he told me that all it needed was carbs cleand and compression was excelent. I went home disasemebled and cleaned carbs ran the motor to sinc carbs all was well. I put the boat in the water and it ran well for a half day. and the all of sudden I could only get low rpms out of it. I chalked it to bad gas and pulled the boat out of the water.Changed fuel filters and checked the oil and and it was white as milk. Did an oil change and ran it for a half hour in a tank and what do we have more milk.

Any way time to pull the head off and check it out anybody know what the tourque values are for the head bolts and if they are tourque to yield bolts?
angry.gif
"

"Since it was a "dealer&#3

"Since it was a "dealer" who told you "...all it needed was carbs cleand and compression was excelent. " that would be the first place I would go with this problem.

I don't know the BF90, but would not begin this project without a service or shop manual.

Right panel on this page has a link to Selok Manuals; hardbound or online.

You can order a PDF Download of the Honda Shop Manual for your engine from this site:

[url=""]http://www.lings.com/lingsc...D&-session=Lings:4703E38413d9d056D8pLKP29FCFD[/url]

If you replace your head gasket, first take the head to an automotive/marine machine shop to have the head resurfaced.

Go here:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/parts.html

for Honda Parts catalog, drawings and ordering parts."

I have the seloc manual but it

I have the seloc manual but it gives a tourgue range and not a solid value. I was wondering if there may have been an update. The dealer where I purchased the motor is no beeing very helpful at all. The head is off and is getting machined. Thanks for the help Ii apreciate it.

The 4.... 8 x 40mm 20 ft l

The 4.... 8 x 40mm 20 ft lb
the 8... 10 x 140mm 51 ft lb
the 2... 10 x 120mm 51 ft lb

Torque in two to three steps to the torque value in the numbered sequence that I hope is in your manual.

"I guess that a "DEALER&#3

"I guess that a "DEALER" that would sell an engine needing carbs cleaned, but performed a compression check seems a little odd. The compression test, if properly done, would have found that head gasket problem.

Although the DIY Manuals often have good explanation for procedures that the factory shop manuals assume you should know, I would still want that Factory Shop Manual for maintaining my engine. The link I provided is less than half the cost I paid Honda for my Shop Manual ten years ago.

Beyond proper torque on those bolts, make sure to clean ('chase') the threads for every bolt installed and use perfect seal or never seize when you assemble. You can grind the point off a standard metric tap to create a 'blind' tap to carefully clean those aluminum threaded bolt holes."

Thanks for the help!!! The man

Thanks for the help!!! The manual I have has the tourque sequence but did not have the values. Thanks again

Back