Logo

Sea King 5 hp

otis49

"I have a 5 hp sea king I thin

"I have a 5 hp sea king I think, the engine covers say sea king, but the serial # is evinrude,7514-84516. Is it possible that the bottom end was switched, or would sea king covers fit an evinrude. Would like to know the fuel/oil ratio for this engine. I am thoroughly confused, the engine looks like it could a late 1950's model sea king from other photos I've seen."

"I have figured out that the u

"I have figured out that the upper end is a 1956 Sea King 5 hp,and the lower unit is a 1954 Evinrude 7.5 hp. Question I have is there is fuel dripping out of carb when the engine is not running, if I close the shut off valve it stops.It runs fine, and does not drip when running. Is this a normal condition, or is there something else I should be doing? I also have a 1949 Martin 60 that drips fuel, but according to the owners manual, this is a normal condition. It makes me nervous having fuel collecting in the bottom of the boat. (I always bring a fire extinguisher with me). Any help would be appreciated."

"Neither is normal nor correct

"Neither is normal nor correct. The Sea King was made by Gale, a part of OMC which is why the upper and lower units interchange. Most likely cause of fuel overflow is the cork float coating being eaten up by ethanol fuel or age. Another possible cause is that the packing material under the packing nut is damaged. The packing nut is the brass fitting that the needle valve runs through off the front of the carb, If you notice that the needle valve is rotating while the motor is running try tightening up the nut. Should be 7/16". The Martin "normal condition" is if you use the feature that allows one to tilt the motor up and turn the motor around to access the prop while the motor is still attached to the boat. No other condition that I know of would allow fuel to drip or flow from the carbs except for bad seals. Rebuild the carb. More information can be found at aomci.org."

Hello dave I got a 1951 seakin

Hello dave I got a 1951 seaking that was doing the same thing pouring gas out the carb whith the engine of Curt is correct about the cork float however i Sprayed mine out with carb cleaner and got lucky whatever was stuck got cleaned and i didnt even have to pull the carb I've looked for carb kits for mine but no luck so if you pull it you'll have to make your own gaskets unless you get lucky and find a carb kit.
try looking for omc repacment part that cross ref with you carbs serial number and make good luck

Back