Logo

2001 115 Tohatsu running rough with low RPMs

grandepiacere

"I have run through every trou

"I have run through every trouble shooting procedure there is in the original shop manual and the Clymer manual trying to figure out why my engine is limited to 3200-4000 rpm. Compression perfect all four. Linkages and timing per factory spec. Fuel pump and mixture good, carbs rebuilt, All stages of ignition check out using a fluke meter. Final output from CDI shows four regular pulses on OSCOPE at corect amplitude. Disabling any safety cricuit, water pressure, oil level, temp etc has no effect. Nuetral switch checks out, ignition switch checks out. New water pump and thermostat. I think perhaps the timing is mucked up via the CDI, perhaps its stuck in start up mode with the spark advanced 15 degrees too far? I noticed that when the red yellow wire going to the CDI is diconnected the RPMs pick up at idle. Accrding to the manual disconnecting this wire will limit the engine to 1500 RPM, but the manual makes not mention of why. Disconnecting the yellew red wire also kills the tachometer. The red yellow wire could be a wild goose chase, no info in manuals on this. Oh yeah rectifier is good. Ideas??? Help! I am not new to trouble shooting or engines but this has me beat."

Contact Tohatsu at 972-323-600

Contact Tohatsu at 972-323-6003. They have a department that is dedicated to helping consumers.

Back