Logo

30 Mercruiser Starter bolt sheared off

robobru

"2 years in a row that the sho

"2 years in a row that the shorter of the starter bolts has sheared off, with the threaded portion now remaining in block.
These were the standard bolts and the replacement was a Grade 6 and still sheared off. Any suggestiongs?"

"Rob, my 3.0 did the same thin

"Rob, my 3.0 did the same thing right after I purchased it. The brace bolt had come loose and sheared one of the big bolts and bent the other. From what I learned here, that brace on the bow side of the starter must be there to prevent this."

"you may want to try torquing

"you may want to try torquing the bolt in first,measure from the head to the block, and compare with the thickness of the starter housing.
1/8 inch difference at least to securely tighten the starter."

"I bought the boat last year,

"I bought the boat last year, was immaculate. Didn't have a brace or bracket on the original starter (think it was original anyway). Changed the starter, bolt sheared off near end of season, changed the bolt to grade 8 and sheared off again.
Not sure if this aftermarket starter has a place to bolt a bracket, any thoughts?"

"Sorry, it is a 1995 Maxum, th

"Sorry, it is a 1995 Maxum, thanks for the reference. Is that for an after market starter? Or will it fit all?"

"Should fit all, take a look a

"Should fit all, take a look at your starter where the bracket would bolt on."

If the starter has the bolt st

If the starter has the bolt sticking out of the starter the bracket can be used.

"It does have the bolt stickin

"It does have the bolt sticking out of the end, 2 in fact. Does this bracket have any dimesions available? That way I could measure the distance to make sure it would fit. Thanks"

Anyone have a 3.0L withe start

Anyone have a 3.0L withe starter bracket? Could you provide dimensions for Rob?

"I measured today and the dist

"I measured today and the distance is about 4" from the starter bolt end to the block, not a perfect 90 degree angle mind you."

"Anyone have a measurement on

"Anyone have a measurement on for the starter bracket, from the block to the end bolt? Want to make sure the bracket listed on the site is correct. Thanks"

email sent to you Rob. Mine is

email sent to you Rob. Mine is oppox three inches from the starter to the block. Has what appears to be a 90 degree angle in the bracket at the engine block side.

Back