Logo

Carbs new then changed fuel filter and problems

drphil

"Hey can I have too fine of fi

"Hey can I have too fine of filter after fuel pump, and can it cause flow problems to carb. Things were ok then changed filters as instructed by warranty and now problems. Plese som help, just rebuilt starboard motor and it really ran great, now trouble."

"Hey Phil - a smaller-than-spe

"Hey Phil - a smaller-than-spec filter could be a problem but....if it were drastic enough to cause the problems you're having, there'd probably be an obvious size difference between the filter ends and the fuel lines (in other words, it would fit very/too loosely into the fuel lines).

I'm sure you've already done this but, just in case, you should confirm that the filter is flowing the proper direction. It should have an arrow indicating fuel flow.....that arrow should point toward the carb. If it's backwards, it won't flow.

What's the engine doing?"

"it is bogging big time when r

"it is bogging big time when reved and acts as if it is starving for fuel. I am wondering if it is flooding? It starts extremely easy then after warm hard too start.
after idling for awhile it will die and be hard too start? too rich or flooding, then why the bog when you open throttle?? Flow arrows are going the right way, timing dead on and rechecked. Plug wires new and all on."

"A couple more questions.....

"A couple more questions.....

1) fuel pump - how old?
2) carb - mechanical or electric choke?
3) when it starts bogging/stalling, are you smelling a lot of gas/fumes?
4) when you open it up (when it seems to starve), does the carb "pop"?"

"fuel pump age not sure
elect

"fuel pump age not sure
electric choke
no gas smell, no pop, just like a dying struggling sound. Back off on throttle it catches back up but won't rev higher
I am watching the edelbrock dvd to see if i am missing anything.."

"Did you just put a 1409 on it

"Did you just put a 1409 on it? Those things are set up pretty well right out of the box. However, if you haven't already, you might want to double-check the electric choke wiring. If it's not wired properly, the choke may not be opening....which could produce the type of symptoms you're having.

Next time you cold-start the boat, keep an eye on the choke linkage to make sure it's opening as the motor warms up.

Also, did you tap the carb for the PCV hose?

If you're able to rule those things out, you may want to replace the fuel pump. Even if it's not the ultimate cause, if you suspect it's an older one, the $60 isn't poorly spent.

Lastly, if you've got doubts about the fuel filter you put on, it's short money to rule it out by getting a new/correct one.

I hope you figure it out. Keep us posted."

"thanks, pcv valve drilled and

"thanks, pcv valve drilled and thinking about fuel pump did not know for sure, 1409 new, just not sure what is going on. choke is wired to the positive side of coil, why would it be hard to start after warming up starts so easily when cold?? will try different fuel filters, can you get replacements or do i have to rebuild the fuel pump and what is part number or where can i get it."

"If the choke isn't openin

"If the choke isn't opening properly, it would always be in a good position for a cold start and bad position for a warm start. The choke is probably an oversimplified diagnosis....but worth a look. Make sure you've got a good ground on it.

Some other things worth checking.....

Make sure that, in the process of installing the new carb, filter, etc. that no fuel lines were re-routed in a way that exposes them to too much heat. Fuel in lines and carb bowls can vaporize if something's causing them to get too hot.

Along these lines, you didn't change your intake manifold did you? On the underside of it, just below where the carb sits, there's a plate that prevents hot oil from overheating the area just below the carb....which can vaporize the fuel. Sometimes, replacement manifolds don't come with this plate.

Lastly, you can get a replacement fuel pump at NAPA (marine specific). The part number is NFPM60980. It lists for about $56."

"I will check choke, same inta

"I will check choke, same intake just new carbs and new fuel filter. potential problems then are fuel filter, pump, choke. will also check and see if any plugs have fouled but don;t see as how they could go bad so quick. Thanks for part number and help just need to bounce things off people to see if I am missing any thing too simple and obivious..."

Back