Logo

318 Troubles

row11

"I have been having these trou

"I have been having these troupbles off and on. I have remanufacted 318s less than 100 hrs. Three things happening. 1) each engine will stall at idle when I put it gear, though it is hit or miss. 2) low RPMS at WOT 2,500, 3) this is a new one, one of the engines was running fine, then the RPMs began fluctuating downward and I would hear backfire through the carb. Stopped doing it when I lowered RPM below 2,000.

On this engine I recently replaced the fuel pump. Every thing seemed ok first time out, this time I had problems. Not sure where to start?

thanks"

"Hey Chris - you could have a

"Hey Chris - you could have a combination of things working against you or one issue that's causing all symptoms.

A couple of things....

1) Are you confident that these engines were properly timed when dropped in?

2) This wouldn't explain your WOT issue but, are the idles and mixtures well-tuned? If your idle's too low and/or your idle mixture is poor, it could weaken the idle enough to kill it when going in or out of gear.

3) Hopefully, there's no need for me to go here but....were the camshafts properly broken in after the new motors were installed and was racing/high-zinc-content oil used for the process?"

Thanks. I followed all the ins

Thanks. I followed all the installers reccomendations on break in. Not sure about the oil. The engines have been in for two season without these problems.

Back