Logo

Honda BF20 draws oil crank case

bulldog

"Bought a new 2008 BF20 Sept 2

"Bought a new 2008 BF20 Sept 2008. After 4 hours the motor sucked about 1/3 quart of oil from the PVC valve through the vent tube to the air intake. Oil was drawn into the carb but most spilled into the lake. Honda repaired stating the PCV stuck open,

I've now got 20 hour on it and it started doing it again. Two additional times it drew oil via the vent tube but not to the same extent as the first. I'm thinking the first repair was to keep me quiet. I run my motor in shallow water and sometimes tilt to the first setting. Could operating or storing in a tilted position cause oil to flood the cylinders (almost like storing on the wrong side).

Any other possible causes... Thanks in advance

I'm thinking it's more a storage/operation issue."

"This is a new one on me...

"This is a new one on me...

Make sure your oil level is between the two marks on the dip stick. Try to keep it about a 1/4 inch below the top mark.

Make sure you are using the correct oil per Honda specs.

I do not know if running it on the first setting is a problem (I do not know it to be one), but as frustrating as it is for you and your dealer, you should call them to discuss it. If they do not have an immediate answer, they can check with Honda tech line and if they do not have an answer or suggestion, then their District Service Manager. Believe me, if there is an issue with the motor, Honda wants it fixed as badly as you do.

Honda likes the dealer to address the problem first if possible, then it is escalated up the chain until resolved."

"After the first event last Se

"After the first event last Sept the Honda techs replaced the cover and PCV valve and re-filled the crankcase. I've never added oil myself.

I've run about 4 tanks of gas through this engine without incident until last week. After this latest event, while the motor was on the boat, the dipstick wouldn't read a level. I never added any more oil. The latest tech said he removed 1/2 quart to get the level within range. I told him he was mistaken. The crankcase only holds 1 quart to begin with. I'm stumped.

Confused"

Back