Logo

Out drive

blueagletalon

"we got our boat last saterday

"we got our boat last saterday. we have been cleaning it up and i tuned up the motor. we took it out for the first time today. it runs great for a merc 165. well we got it opened up and noticed that the steering is kinda hard. so we got looking at it out of the water to find some marks on the out drive. i need help on trying to fix it. here are some pics . please help me. plus is there suppost to have any move ment in the steering like sloppy steering
290870.jpg
rub Marks"">
290871.jpg
rub Marks"">
290872.jpg
rub Marks"">
290873.jpg
rub Marks

Thomas

Those are wear pads

Thomas

Those are wear pads and they are supose to wear.
The amount of wear usually is associated with the amount of slop in the gimabl ring to steering pin. and usually only the one on the right wears the fastest.

The gimbal ring (ring with the two bolts heads near the top) is only suposed to have approx 1/8" to 1/4" of side to side movement.

If it is more than that the the steering pin (square male) fit to the gimbal ring (female) is worn and "maybe" buy tightening the two SHOULDER bolts at the top of the ring you may be able to reduce some of the slop. Other wise the gimbal ring will need replacement. Big job to do it right and my opinion is to remove the engine to properly repair and replace the worn parts.

i have about an half inch of m

i have about an half inch of movement. so i guess i have to get a gimble ring. is this something i can do iam an ex car mech and now work on black hawk helos.

Get the manuals for the engine

Get the manuals for the engine and OD years from eBay; 1 each. While it is all apart replace the trim position sender and trim limit switch.

First try to find a gimbal ring for it.

"gimbal ring, you may want to

"gimbal ring, you may want to replace the gimbal bearing to, which has nothing to do with the ring. the bearing is for the drive shaft."

Thomas

Contact me thru my e

Thomas

Contact me thru my email associated with my profile (click on my name)

I will give you my phone number and answer your questions that way

well i cant find the gimble ri

well i cant find the gimble ring. i grabed a hold of the lower unit tonight and i have some play in the upper part by the grease fiting and two uppper bolts. when i move it side to side i have like 1/2inch of play. is it the gimble bearning or some thing else.

"the thing that the 2 upper bo

"the thing that the 2 upper bolts go through is the Gimbal Ring.

This is a Gimbal Ring

291027.jpg
gr"">

This is a Gimbal Bearing

291028.jpg
gb

ok went out looking at my outd

ok went out looking at my outdrive. i found that the two upper bolts were loose. so some of the slop is gone. now i just have to figure ot why it will not turn right when under WOT.

thomas I had the same problem

thomas I had the same problem just a couple of weeks ago and it turned out to be the gimbal ring.
check out my post (86 120 hp mercruiser steering hard)

"start with ajusting the trim

"start with ajusting the trim tab, if steering pulls left trun tab to left."

Back