Logo

First inboard purchase Help

dbeitz

"I have only owned 2 & 4 s

"I have only owned 2 & 4 stroke outboards before, & now I'm looking at buying a '93 model boat with a Volvo Penta AD31B/DP on it. The taco has a digital hour meter that reads 133 hours. I live on a very remote island between Hawaii & Guam where help & parts are difficult to find, & I have to mail order or ship most things in. The boat is in Japan, & I won't be able to look at it personally, just photos. I have bought 4 vehicles from Japan in the last year this same way, & all have been exactly as described & I have been 100% happy with them. Now I'm trying it with a boat. I would really appreciate hearing some comments on the following -

1/ Is this model of motor generally reliable?
2/ Did Volvo taco's have a digital hour meter back in 1993? (or has it been replaced later)
3/ How do inboards compare on reliability & maintainence to outboards?
4/ I think this engine is rated at 130 hp. Being a diesel, will it seem to have more torque that a gas outboard, but maybe not as much acceleration?

Sorry for the ignorance of my questions, but I would really appreciate some advice before I make a purchase."

"hi, the origonal tacho would

"hi, the origonal tacho would have been the analogue hour counter type, so yes it is a replacement tacho"

"Hi Scott, that's a great

"Hi Scott, that's a great help, thanks. Any advice on the other questions would be appreciated too."

"Doug, Volvo has a good reputa

"Doug, Volvo has a good reputation for being reliable. If I am not mistaken, the model you are considering is an Inboard/Outboard. I am unsure of Volvo, but other brands of I/O are hit and miss. True inboards are the way to go for reliabilty IMHO."

"The engines have a very good

"The engines have a very good reputation. Like with any salty your main concern should be corrosion.
My AD41B just underwent major restoration, the decision with a I/O is what else do you do if you have to pull a engine. Exhaust pipes are susceptable to all the elements including the diesel by products. I would want a mechanics inspection, not just a hull survey."

"Doug, I bought a boat from Ja

"Doug, I bought a boat from Japan off the net. After much thought, I decieded to buy off a dealership as at least if they were offering it for sale to the public it had better be in good shape. Most of these boats sit on the hard 99% of the time so really low hours.Usually they are maintained yearly whether they are used or not. When the boat arrived from Japan & I finally got it in the water after antifouling ect, the engine & leg were perfect.(AQAD41B/DPA1 combo) The only things you will probably need to do is upgrade your battery systems, overhaul your sea water pump inclding bearings,seals & impeller. Strip your starter down & check for corrosion. I had to replace mine as it was very rusty inside. Optional to get your injectors checked. Small price to pay for reliability. The AD31 engine is very reliable and probably one of the best engines Volvo Penta ever made & commercially rated. It's the old story... look after it & it will look after you. I have had a good experience from my boat with just a few minor things as mentioned before. Good Luck."

"I have had TAMD31 in 22'6

"I have had TAMD31 in 22'6" RIB, with duoprop drive, and it was awesome. I only changed oil and filters on it every 100 hours. I also bought it on the Net, unseen. Tach hours seem way too low. Those motors are generally very reliable, good luck.

"

Back