Logo

Rochester carbs

tony0862

"Have a 1962 fairliner with tw

"Have a 1962 fairliner with two 230 crusaders, i want to buy new carbs but there is no number on these carbs. It says rochester quads any ideas where the numbers or what carbs i can use?"

"Two choices: Rebuilt Q-Jets &

"Two choices: Rebuilt Q-Jets (any one will work), or Edelbrock 1409s with the adapter plates.

Jeff"

Try carbjunkys.com. They have

Try carbjunkys.com. They have an ebay store and will rebuild what you have if they are rebuildeble

"tony - are you sure there isn

"tony - are you sure there isn't any number on either one?

two ID methods were used - both on the throttle linkage side of the carb. the first used an embossed tag 'inside' of the accelerator pump link. The second uses the vertical boss above the secondaries, behind the shaft. these are stamped into the main body."

"yes i'm very sure there i

"yes i'm very sure there is no number, i had a mechanic friend look and he said that there were tags on them but they are both gone...."

"If you send your carbs out to

"If you send your carbs out to be rebuilt, the serial number won't matter to a quality rebuilder. And you know they'll fit perfectly when you get them back!

Jeff"

It isn't a serial number -

It isn't a serial number - its a model number.

It sure does make it easier to select the correct components...even for the pros.

Tony - are you sure they are Q-jets and not 4G's?

"They must be the real early v

"They must be the real early versions...I'd stab at 1965-66 so they wouldn't have been original with the engines. if that's their era, they have the early inlet valve - not a needle and seat (unless they've been modified) and they have a bunch of other quirks that were resolved with the later carbs.

If you want to use them or something similar, check out www.cliffshighperformance.com. Call him and he'll offer you his opinion or help you with kits, parts, rebuilds, etc."

"The 4 jet was gm's first

"The 4 jet was gm's first foray into 4 barrel carbs. I have the same thing on Miss Nancy. The last year for the 4 jet was 1967. If it was not for the intake being made for the carb, meaning all 4 holes are the same small size I would upgrade. But then I still go with the old school of if it works and works well then leave it the hell alone. That said, carb junky's were the ones who rebuilt my carb."

"Tony:

If it has a "for

"Tony:

If it has a "forrest" of vent tubes above the air horn, it is most likely a 4G. As Paul said, they factory support started tapered off over 40 years ago. That said, there's a few people that have a stash of parts and the knowledge to 'bring them back' if you want to. One is Jon Hargrove at The Carb Shop in Missouri - http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/
you may want to invest in the phone call; he may be able to provide some new options."

"Let's try this again.
T

"Let's try this again.
Tony,
If I was to do what I really want to do I would look at an aftermarket fuel injection system. Hopefully it would bolt right up and where there are no butterfly valves the hole size I would think would be ok. I have not done a lot of reserch as the cost is prohibitive at this time. Good luck and let me know how you make out."

"Paul -

You are right abou

"Paul -

You are right about the cost prohibitive part. I've found you can usually buy 'running takeouts' for what an MPI system runs and wind up with a better deal, if you wanna get FI.

I'll stick with my simple carbs - much easier to fix pretty much anywhere and almost always cheaper."

"You gotta admit: Fuel Inject

"You gotta admit: Fuel Injection is nice and when it is being installed on an existing carbureated block...I have never heard of anyone not having lots of extra work before getting it almost right !

Althought ONCE...I get over that initial "week ago" startup fuel starvation, my engines fire on the first ignitable compressive cylinder that pops up. ( no pun intended)"

"Tony, My boat is a 1966 Calif

"Tony, My boat is a 1966 Californian express with twin crusaders the carbs where Rochester 4jets. I had them rebuilt by a very good carb shop and one year later they had problems. I replaced them with Edelbrock 1409 performers (MARINE) and the thin Edelbrock adaptor plate. Check your manifold and your deck clearance first before you install. The carbs give me more power and gas milage than before and run right out of the box. I ordered on line from Summit racing. Free shipping and no sales tax."

The Edlebrocks use an electric

The Edlebrocks use an electric choke. Easy to hook up: just find a hot in run 12 volt source and tap into it.

Jeff

Electric chokes. Ran the hot l

Electric chokes. Ran the hot lead to a 12v buss bar that was hot when the ignition was turned on.

Back