Logo

Water in upper case stringer #983486

stevebm29

"OK my next problem is I drain

"OK my next problem is I drained upper gear case and got blasted by gear oil/water.Why would it be under pressure?If its leaking which it obviously is, how can it pressurize?...........Any ideas?

Thanx for any and all help. I am new to Forum but have already found a lot of answers to many questions I have.

Why did I get rid of my beloved Penn Yan with reverse gear!!!!!DAMN IT!!!!!!"

"Don't know why you got ri

"Don't know why you got rid of your Yan. But all gear cases have pressure built up from gears turning.

Now to your upper case, the stringer " i have one"
has a over sized powerful impeller and if the water pump housing is not sealed correctly can and will cause water to enter the gear area, thus water in the upper.

Also i will bet if you pressure test the upper, which i strongly recommend, you will see more leaks, maybe the ball gear seal, maybe the plug.

Maybe you never shot any grease into the zerk inside the hole located on the front of the drive halfway up.

Only way to find out where it's leaking is do a pressure test of the gearcase."

"Thanx for your insight,I got

"Thanx for your insight,I got rid of Penn Yan because after 10 years of mooring a 10' beam boat and being a field construction boilermaker and traveling all over the country in the spring and fall just got to be a real pain in the b***s if you know what I mean!

Now back to the stringer,as you said you read my other post,I am not a mechanic but am very mechanically inclined,and have worked on all my cars and boats my whole life(because I'm cheap..ha,ha)anyway I have a manual but have no experience with outdrives!So I would like other peoples input that have been around them,hopefully their mistake won't be mine!I have gone thru posts and these stringers are a total different breed from what I see.

Now how come the case will build pressure but then it holds it?.........Supposedly there is a new pump and seal kit installed by a "pro",this is another reason I do things myself and check and re-check with knowledgeable people especially on things I've never worked on.

I've put new seals on plugs,but dont have any idea how to pressure test on the boat,any info would be helpful....the manual say "pull unit off and drain,pressurize then submerge and look for leaks...sounds good if your tearing off unit...

What in the hell is a zerk and where is it? Sounds like something I'd send apprentice to the tool room for(IE a beam or pipe stretcher).

Sorry for the sarcasm but inquiring minds want to know.......

All or any help is appreciated!

Steve"

"Steve let's keep it all i

"Steve let's keep it all in one thread maybe the other one?

A zerk fitting is the fitting where you place the tip of a grease gun push and shoot grease into a bearing or some other place that requires grease, such as a axel of a trailer."

"Thanx for your input,I've

"Thanx for your input,I've always called em' grease fittings,never heard that term before,I guess you learn something new everyday! I'll start using other thread with questions. Steve"

Back