Logo

New to OMC and outdrives HELP

stevebm29

"I just traded my beloved 78 2

"I just traded my beloved 78 26' Penn Yan Flybridge for an 85 Trojan w/OMC 3.0 GM w/stringer outdrive model #983486.What have I done!
I have engine running and it runs nice,took it out on sea trial,expecting problems,at idle to 1000rpm. there was no problems,temp.around 180-200,but once I gave her a little more.........she started over heating.Temp. screamed up to 240-260 in seconds!We let her cool and got her home,now comes the finding out why part.I've flushed fresh water system,checked flow to and out of exchanger,also flow on fresh water side........I came to the conclusion it must have been air bound because of high loop in lower water pump outlet of engine.I was just running her for a good hour,in a tub with water flowing constantly,at all different rpm's,she was at about 180-200 degrees until.........I heard a hissing,I noticed some steam at outdrive but just figured it was the exhaust steaming...but then the tell/tell started hissing and steaming and BAM,she started spraying out of the cap!ANY IDEAS ANY BODY!!!!!!!!!!!Steve"

"i just posted to your other t

"i just posted to your other thread. never bought a manual huh?

160-180 normal temp anything over shut her down, now maybe you blew a head gasket who knows.

Maybe a impeller change, maybe the t-stat frozen closed, maybe risers clogged up, maybe flappers melted off and blocking exhaust."

"I got rid of Penn Yan because

"I got rid of Penn Yan because after 10 years of mooring a 10' beam boat and being a field construction boilermaker and traveling all over the country in the spring and fall just got to be a real pain in the b***s if you know what I mean!

Yes I have a manual and have gone thru it,there is a lot of information if you've ever looked/read one,but as I have said I have no experience with outdrives!So I would like other peoples input that have been around them,hopefully their mistake won't be mine!I have gone thru posts and these stringers are a total different breed from what I see.

I've owned boats my whole life,I live in Maine and grew up on the water and know what temp an engine should run at, but as I said she jumped from 180 to 240 in seconds and I did shut it right down!The head gasket is not blown,she'not loosing fresh water/steaming or signs in oil.

Supposedly there is a new pump and seal kit installed by a "pro",this is one reason I do things myself and check and re-check with knowledgeable people especially on things I've never worked on. I've flushed fresh water system,checked flow to and out of exchanger,also flow on fresh water side........Now do you got any more ideas?

After first post I removed thermostat,thinking more water more cooling?........It worked.....but still running about 220.

Maybe flappers melted off and blocking exhaust?How would you check that?

Anybody any ideas?

Sorry for the sarcasm but inquiring minds want to know.......

All or any help is appreciated!

Steve"

"By the way its an 85' Tro

"By the way its an 85' Trophy w/OMC 3.0(4 cyl.) GM w/stringer outdrive model #983486,not a Trojan......See what I mean its all new to me!"

How hi dose your temp gauge go

How hi dose your temp gauge go. I have the same drive on my Sea Sprite. Same engine also. Take a look at the drive where it hindges for the tilt. There are two plates one on each side. make sure the seals are good there.

"ok steve i have the exact sam

"ok steve i have the exact same model as you.

First leave the t-stat out till we find the problem.

You have a power steering cooler, thats the next step, clean it or replace it.

Now the long hose that comes in from the transom and connects to the t-stat, remove at the t-stat and point it straight up, have someone start the motor. You have good water there, should shoot striaght up about 12-15 inchs. re-install the hose

If good water there then i say it's the riser, clogged up.

Remove the riser, and inspect it, while it is out shine a light down the tube see if you see the flapper, maybe someone already removed it. i don't have one never was on the boat.

Really i would replace the impeller in the drive it's located in the upper on the drive.

There is a important zerk fitting located halway up the front of the drive in a hole, can only get to it with the drive up, shoot it 5-6 times with grease.

Now to your manual, what do you have the seloc #3400 right hand corner? if yes then i can point you to the page and para, with any more questions you have.

And if you need to call me on my phone. email me at [email protected] and i'll send you the number.

you won't believe how many people call me from all over the country with omc stringer problems.

And the tilt thats another story altogether."

"OK Chief,first of all I'v

"OK Chief,first of all I've flushed fresh water system,checked flow to and out of exchanger,also flow on fresh water side and there seems to be plenty of flow thru both.Yesterday I re-plumbed system so its all raw water,I'm thinking exchanger is too small,its approx. 4"x20",anyway,I run it on muffs and temp. stayed around 110 at idle but as soon as I bumped up RPMs she soared up to 200 range the temp gauge tops out at 260.There is no power steering cooler it has a cable system.I am planning on tearing off riser today and inspecting end of cooling system because I believe your right that there's blockage in there somewhere.I pulled a big chunck of rust out of exhaust on drive.
I'll let you know how it goes and thanx for insight again! Steve"

"yep riser is gone, hope the m

"yep riser is gone, hope the manifold is still good, ebay is the place to get parts, guy in cali has the manifold 315 with gaskets. riser if your lucky 100 bucks maybe a little more, check the flapper that is not blocking ya."

"Yep riser is gone and so is t

"Yep riser is gone and so is the manifold!$$$$$$$$ Just another hole in my yard to throw money into!Now Chief your talkin' parts searching,I called JA Chamberlain Marine Manifold Sales cause I cant find a match to my part #s(man.3856872 Volvo Penta stamped on it and riser 3852345).JAC tells me that this is not original style that came on engine that it is for 92'and after.The difference is the hole for carb. is 90 deg. out.Now this would change linkage from the side of carb. to the front.Does this sound right?To buy the original style versus whats on it now is about $120,but the original style has end caps where the one I have doesn't.I did see the original style on e-bay,I just want to be positive before I make that investment.So......what do you think?

Steve"

Back