Logo

Steering Lubrication

kbacpamn3

Hi: I'm new to boating an

Hi: I'm new to boating and this forum so this if my first post. We have a 1989 Larson 3.0 Mercruser that we bought last fall.

When driving the steering wheel turns quite difficultly and squeaks. On the trailer it turns fine. I can't seem to find any grease fittings anywhere on the line nor a power steering fluid unit.

Behind the dash the steering wheel is attached to a Telflex silver colored mechanism. There is a hose comming out of one end (I guess the steering cables are in there) and a plastic pipe/tube comming out of the other with a cap on its end. Do I put lubrication in the plastic tube?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Karl

Where is the squeak? The whee

Where is the squeak? The wheel or engine area? Lube all steering pivot points in the engine compartment w/engine oil.

"how much steering play is the

"how much steering play is there, usually teleflex is non serviceable, you can try taking the smaller tube off and apply some grease in the tube and to the worm cable rotate that back and forth a few times, if the squeak is still there then it may be time for a new helm"

If it's just the wheel noi

If it's just the wheel noisy; spray some WD-40 around the base of it using a nozzle to get inside it.

Back