Logo

Bf75l1706632 wont keep idle

scaleb51

hi i have a honda outboard bf7

hi i have a honda outboard bf75l. when i start it i have to pull out the choke then push back in then pull it over with throttle on it starts sounds good reved up but when i let off the gas it trys to die so i bump the throttle and it revs up for about 20 seconds and starts to idle back down then dies please some one help me if possible thanx. does any one know the year of this motor

"Lets try the reall simple thi

"Lets try the reall simple thing first. Tighten the knurled plastic knob on the throttle twist arm. This is a friction lock to keep the throttle setting from drifting when the engine runs.

Now if that does not work...It is very likely that the carb is dirty... especially the idle circuit which if plugged is a major pain to clean... i.e., liquid cleaners won't touch it.

Try the easy thing first."

"You can try something else ea

"You can try something else easy before you clean the whole carb. Remove screw #10 (will need a flat head screwdriver). Also remove idle mixture screw #6 ..It should have a spring on it. Before you do, screw it in and count the number of turns to screw it in all the way. When you put it back in be sure to turn screw all the way in then back it out the number of turns that you counted. This should be about 2 3/4 turns

Once you get these out, take some brake clean and squirt it into each opening. Then take some compressed air (you can use a small can that you use on your computer) and spray it into the two passages.

Put the screws back. The engine may be a little flooded, but start the engine and see if it helps. If not, get a manual and clean the whole carburator.
290806.jpg
"

"Calab,I had the same problem.

"Calab,I had the same problem.Look at mikes diagram. Remove #10 and #23 (main jet) and #12(main nozzle). I used the smallest cutting torch file and cleaned out the hole in the jet and the holes in the nozzle. Below #10 is a port that I cleaned with the file that was a little harder to clean. Sprayed carb cleaner through everything then air. Idles perfect now. Now I'm trying to figure out my water pump problem. Dont know if its durty ports behind the thermostat or if its the impeller itself. Can anyone tell me if the impeller really goes bad with a motor with around 50 hours on it?"

"Mike, I have BF75S, I am gues

"Mike, I have BF75S, I am guessing its over 20 years old. But low hours. Water isnt shooting out, so I am guessing it isnt curculating. What do you think?"

"Try this simple fix first...r

"Try this simple fix first...remove the p' hose from the block. Insert a lenght of soft solid wire in there and clean it out. If you're lucky all will be OK after that. Make sure the hose isn't plugged.

If not, then the impeller is shot. After 20 yrs the impeller may get hard and self destruct, regardless of the hours."

"David....There is one other p

"David....There is one other path to check for clogs...there is a hose that goes from the starboard side of the motor (attaches to a nipple at the base of the block) crosses over the top of the engine to the thermostat housing on the port side of the engine...

Pull the hose off at the thermostat housing and see if you have any water flow out of the hose. If not, go to the nipple of the other side and blast with some compressed air or use a wire to ream it out. If no water comes out of the nipple and you can hear the compressed air coming out of the lower unit...it is impeller time (which is probably overdue anyway).

If water is coming out of the hose with a good flow, then it is time to check the thermostat that may be stuck closed."

"Robert and Mike, I will try y

"Robert and Mike, I will try your suggestions but I think I should go ahead and replace the impeller no matter what. Do you know of a dealer that I can call and order parts from that is knowledgeable with my motor?"

"Mike, Thanks for the great p

"Mike, Thanks for the great post. My Honda BF75 long shaft for my sailboat suddenly would not idle. I cleaned out the main jet, still no idle, cleaned out #6 idle screw and #10 plug screw above and it purrs like a kitten. Thanks!! I will toast to you as I sail across the lake next weekend."

Glad everything worked out. Y

Glad everything worked out. You are evidently somewhere warm...boy am I jealous.

Sail Safely!

Hi All,

I realize this thread is quite old - but wanted to add my 2 cents basis a recent experience.

1984 BF 75, not been used in at least two years, and even then only sporadically. The previous owner used it on a sailboat and generally sailed to anchor and to the mooring. (Good sailor... but not so good for the engine.)

I had the boatyard look at it; they had the carb off three times and could not get it to idle. I took it home, dissassembled and cleaned the carb with carb cleaner. Then I replaced the spark plugs and fuel line, and used new fuel. And the same result: the engine ran at higher throttle, but would not idle at all.

My wife encouraged me to try one more time - so I dissassembled the carb, and using a sewing needle I cleaned as best I could all the holes and surfaces of all the bits, including the flat faces on the various parts. Put it back together, fired it up...

...and it ran great!!

I wish I knew which surface/hole was causing the problem to help everyone here, but all I can say is, if it is not running smoothly, don't give up. Clean it mechanically - using tiny files, needles, etc. (Carefully, obviously!) Hondadude and knute - thanks!

Back