Logo

1980 318s 31 silverton need heelp

greasemonkey

Regular Contributor
"I have an issue on my starboa

"I have an issue on my starboard reverse rotation motor. I just put a new timing chain on because when I would try to start it , it would spit up through the carb(Carter reman).I could set the timing ,clean the plugs and it would run for 20 minutes and then start to foul out the plugs.The old (original 1978) timing chain was stretched considerably.So the new chain is on tighter and I checked compression and have 150 on 7 of them and 100 on the #7.There previously was white stuff in exhaust water on both sides.I just reman all the parts that go on the front of the motor with fresh paint ,Would I be wasting my time to try and put it back together to see what it does?Is this a possible valve issue?And to take the valve cover off I think I have to take the exhaust manny off?What do you think?New to the Board!"

"Three things cause plug fouli

"Three things cause plug fouling:

1. Carb flooding. You can check this by turning the idle adjustment screws all the way in (warmed motor). If it stalls, the carb's okay, but if it keeps running--speeding up, even--it's flooding.

2. Bad ignition. Weak spark, bad wires, old plugs, timing seriously off.

3. Motor running way too cold. Determine this (here I go again!) with an infrared temp gun, NOT the gages--not reliable enough.

Jeff"

"Thanks Jeff ,You are obviosly

"Thanks Jeff ,You are obviosly the man when it comes these Silvertons. and mopar motors from what I've seen.The carbs are newly reman and I just install the one from port( which didnt foul and ran great) and yes It was running cold as the previous owner didnt have a thermostat in it at all so I put in the 160 degree(FWC) and jb welded the original expansion tank brass cap fitting and intake gasket surface and then clean the plugs fired right up faster than (flushed tank fresh gas) a fuel injection motor. It ran good for 10 to 15 minutes while I was trying to put it in and out of gear (the whole problem is I can't get it in gear without stalling, when I cleaned the plugs I did get atleast a rotation on the prop before it stalled)Wires,cap,plugs,rotor,are new . I don't know much about valves and # 7 seems to have a problem ( get it runnin and open it up and dump some Sea foam or marvel mystery in the carb about a cup? Definetly reaching here thanks for your help."

"I'd try a carb idle mixtu

"I'd try a carb idle mixture adjustment first, and if that doesn't do, it, start looking for a vacuum leak.

Jeff"

"Alright just to keep this goi

"Alright just to keep this going, the whole front of the motor is new (timing gear, fuel pump , and 160 thermostat and exp. tank) plugs cleaned and timing set using a bolt and cranking by hand (crank bolt , breaker bar)this is the reverse rotator(starboard)1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8 good carb turned screws in she stalled.Pulled plug wires at dist. and couldn't tell if any real difference in sound like the other I could tell significantly(Weak Spark?) It still spitts up violently and listening from the exhaust it misses real bad.The vac gauge hooked to the vac choke about 140 degress on the gauge (I know the infared gun) cranks out a whopping 8 Hgs where the port is 18 hgs aint much suckin I used aviation gasket sealant on the carb gasket and int. mainfold both sides gasket samich seems like the intake manifold gasket is made of a foam like material I could see poking out I pretty much have all new parts all the way around and 1000 hrs on the meter about 100 fiddlin with this motor at idle? Is that #7 causing this weakness?"

No. Are you timing it right?

No. Are you timing it right? That arrow at the flywheel end is used to time both rotation motors: Use one side of the arrow for normal rotation and the other side for reverse rotation.

It sounds like your motor is bad retarded.

Jeff

"I might be retarded , I know

"I might be retarded , I know there is a mark on the flywheel through the rubber cover I see a u shaped mark that is stamped on there ,where is the arrow? I did my little #1 TDC thing and the u shaped part is close.I took of the rusty timing bracket on the front as this wasnt helping and made a new mark on the damper where the original timing cover has marks from 10 degress before and after at zero which is more or less a guide what about that 8 hgs ?

Thanks

Dan"

"Ok, so the I didnt realize th

"Ok, so the I didnt realize the flywheel has 2 u-shaped marks and I apparently had it on the one for the standard engine. For a year I have been fighting this well I got a whole new front end which it needed and a shiny valve cover so we will see if I have my boat back! for the record it is now at about 4or 5 o clock and the standard rot. is about 7 or 8 oclock(TDC # 1from flywheel to back of boat v-drive) and the mark on the damper pulley at 5 degrees after because it rotates backwards .This should be in the books."

"This is where she points now

"This is where she points now hope this helps somebody
291600.jpg
"

The point of the arrow is 0 de

The point of the arrow is 0 degrees. The SIDE of the pointer is the 5 degrees (depending on rotation). You're a bit off still.

Jeff

"Thats even more confusing, So

"Thats even more confusing, So the stamped plate on the ring gear with the u shaped marks doesnt represent that the Bolt is TDC and the RIGHT side mark is 5 degees before and the Left side is 5 degrees After. So your saying the u shaped mark is TDC on this Reverse motor and I need to move it to the right about an inch."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
291660.jpg

Note: Not sure which side of the arrow is for which rotation. It's one or the other, however. How do you tell? Boot the throttle. The mark will advance AWAY from the timing arrow on the side it should be timed at.

Jeff"

I guess I didnt know what to g

I guess I didnt know what to go with on the flywheel which was a ushaped mark which I believe is the damper or pressure plate triangle shaped piece and then the hole directly beneath it. And also seems that the distributor rotates 1/2 revolution in the flywheels complete 1 revolution which constantly messed with me and it is now at about 2 to 3 oclock from flywheel(sounds great not 1 spit through carb went in gear F and R and still only drawed 9 hgs of Vac where the port is 18 hgs now I need a heat ehx for the port side its spraying salt all over my freshley painted star. frontend. I love it!!

So I guess the only way to tim

So I guess the only way to time this motor is the 26* at 3000rpm.But dont i need a mark on the flywheel for that too.Does anybody have a pic of the mark that is on the flywheel?

There was a blue(chrysler

There was a blue(chrysler blue) that was about 1 inch on the very top edge.But seem to be too long and over spray.A round blotch?Ill go look

if youve got it that close it

if youve got it that close it shouldnt backfire through the carb I have an 81silverton 360s though same setup as youre pic if its not fixed yet have you switched carbs from other engine to triple check the rebuilt carb?

"Russell,
I b pullin the top

"Russell,
I b pullin the top of the carb off and cleaning it out.Just acquired a secondary drip.But this is new and I did the carb swap already and been thru about 3 gaskets.when i clean the plugs and start it it runs good for 5 minutes then the plugs foul and back to square one been leaving the mix. at 2 turns open and only had 9hgs of vac in that video u cant see the guage 18hgs on the other side"

"Dan – I agree with Russell ab

"Dan – I agree with Russell about the timing…..if it’s as close as you seem to have gotten it, then I’d move on. For you not to be able to carry an idle into gear, your timing would have to be ridiculously off.

Personally, I don’t think enough attention has been paid to fact that you’ve got one cylinder that’s checking 50 less than the other 7. If one hole is showing that kind of weakness under the benign conditions of a compression-check, it’s going to become even more of a weak link when normal operating conditions are introduced (temp, oil pressure, load, etc.). If that piston has a worn or broken ring, and the other 7 are operating at optimum compression, it’s possible that you’re fouling that plug with oil blow-by (keeping in mind that the oil will “thin out”, and become more prone to blowing by, as the engine temp increases).

Just my 2 cents. It’s possible that you’ve got a combination of issues. However, I wouldn’t spend any more time on trial-and-error of other things until you address the elephant in the room."

"I did another compresion chec

"I did another compresion check a week ago and they were all around 125 +/- only 5psi ???on both motors.After I did that I squirted some seafoam in each cylinder and let it sit,crank it over by hand to soak and then used the key to blow the excess out.all the plugs are fouled also.How bought the dist. rotor not coming to the idle position consistently? Will those dist swap if I use the thrust bushing for the RHRota. the other springs back good.Thatll be a new one for me!"

"Time for a Fastjeff Distribut

"Time for a Fastjeff Distributor Repair Session:

1. Pull the cap and rotor

2. Put a few drops of light oil on the shafts right below the rotor, then put it back in place.

3. Put a good song on the CD player and work the rotor back and forth, back and forth, until the song ends (or 3 minutes, minimum).

4. Put the cap back on, fire it up, and check with a timing light if the advance is now working properly. If not, repeat the above.

Jeff"

"After performing step 4, if y

"After performing step 4, if you find the advance to be working properly, I suggest repeating step 3....rocking a beer back and forth instead of the rotor."

"Okay, Will do.I might have to

"Okay, Will do.I might have to get the video of this one!Whats considered good music to u fellas?These ole nattys will have to do."

"..."Whats considered good

"..."Whats considered good music to u fellas?"

For this procedure, any LONG song!

Jeff"

"Just wondering are you using

"Just wondering are you using points,I had a problem on my starboard reverse engine any chance you have a plug wire in the wrong order
I did mine on rebuild and it drove me nuts for a day till I got it right??On the timing mine could be off 5 to 8 degrees and it didnt act as your is why I think the timings ok I believe as jeffs no2 at top weak spark or in the wrong order??still woner if you have points love the room in my silverton"

"Russell, its a electronic ign

"Russell, its a electronic ignition dist. and heres the video it starts out with very little spring back and after about 8 minutes Id say, it springs back now!The timing mark in the front is my TDC when the #1 just stops coming up anymore.I made that mark longtime ago and notice theres no mark on the flywheel and my rotors in a different spot.I beleives theres an improvement .It didnt pop thru the midrange either.I gonna check real good tommorrow and run for a while.I appreciate all the thoughts and Merry X-mas. http://www.youtube.com/user/captlazybone"

"Neat video BUT you left out a

"Neat video BUT you left out a step: You forgot to put a few drops of light oil under the rotor, on the shafts) BEFORE you started "exercising" it. It might freeze up again on you.

Jeff
335601.jpg
"

Back