Logo

Siezed Perkins HT 6354 Diesel Marine Engine

kellymick

We have just recently purchase

We have just recently purchased a 1970 Tod Tornado which has 2 Perkins HT6.354 engines.We purchased the boat from a marina in the UK (where we live) as a repossession and therefore have no prior knowledge from the owners on the condition.The Port engine turns OK and we have todate not fired it up until we service it. The Stbd engine will not turn and we have tried on the front Aux shaft to turn and also removed the Starter motor and tried a bar on the the ringgear. We have also removed the Injectors and put diesel down to try to free any rust on the pistons.We have all got engineering knowledge but not with this particular engine and would appreciate any help before we lift it out.Please could anyone give us any other ideas or cause's that maybe contributing to this problem.Having read all the discussion about Perkins on this Forum I am sure someone will have the knowledge we are looking for.Thanks in anticipation of your help.

"Don't think there is much

"Don't think there is much anybody can tell you. If a bar on the starter teeth won't budge her, then she is seized pretty tight and will need the head off minimum to see what is going on. Unlikely you can remove the sump in situ. All sorts of NASTY ways to turn an engine like applying heat, pressurising a cylinder with an oil/grease gun, but none I would use in a marine environment."

"Thanks for your comments and

"Thanks for your comments and advice. We have already made plans to take the engine out and strip the head, etc.The condition of the exhaust from the turbo makes me think it could be ingress into the manifold, we will see. thanks again."

Back