Logo

89 Bayliner Capri 23ltr only has idle speed Help

boat_cop

I have a 17' 89 Bayliner o

I have a 17' 89 Bayliner open bow. 2.3L ford OMC with cobra out drive just rebuilt. when i move throttle forward to accelerate it slips rpm's go up but boat looses propulsion anything 1000 to 1200 rpm is fine but any more it slips. It is hard to get in and out of gear please any suggestions.

"Your slipping problem sounds

"Your slipping problem sounds a lot like a bad rubber hub in the prop, do you have a spare prop to try? If not then take a screwdriver or something sharp and scribe a line across the back of the prop from the center out to the edge, take the boat for a ride until you feel it slipping and pull it out and if the line has moved you have a bad hub. This can be replaced very reasonably at any local prop shop.

For the gear problem, it could be a bad lower shift cable or your ESA (electronic shift assist) is not working or your idle speed is too high?"

Thank you heading out now to g

Thank you heading out now to give it a try. The gentelman I bought it from told me put a new prop on because he thought it was the prop. he didnt say anything about a rubber hub.

Back