Logo

Advice if you use you engine infrequently

sandkicker

Outstanding Contributor
"For several years, now, I&#34

"For several years, now, I"ve been disconnecting the fuel line and letting the engine (BF75-4 stroke) run dry when I'm done using it. The engine will often sit for several weeks unused ( much to my annoyance). I took my wife out on the boat (22 ft Bristol sail boat) the other day and had problem with the engine running. In the end, we never got to sail, we just motored out, had problems and once I got the engine re started just returned to the marina. As usual, I let the engine run dry with the fuel hose disconnected.
This time, I had a flash of inspiration and wondered exactly how dry the carb got to be with the running. I reached under the carb and opened the petcock and rather a bit more fuel ran out than I expected. While the fuel itself was clear, the first bit of the flow was a very dark tea color.

Sooooo... if you leave your motor unused for long periods of time, drain the carb with the petcock... and use a can to collect the excess fuel... DON'T let it run into the water."

Yep - just about all carborate

Yep - just about all carborated engines do that. The fuel pick up in the carb bowl does not suck all the gas out. There is always a residual left in there.

"Yes, with the BF75/BF100/BF8

"Yes, with the BF75/BF100/BF8 series it is just one drain with a petcock.

Less than one teaspoon after running 'dry' but more importantly, the idle jet and main jet should be dry without draining.

My Yamaha 90 Hp Two Stroke has three carburetors and no petcocks, I once had a float 'varnish' itself to the bottom of the float chamber after running dry and sitting too long.

I now use stabilizer with All my Fuel and still run dry and drain the Honda BF100."

"Here's a hint... if as th

"Here's a hint... if as the motor is slowing down when it is running out of fuel, pull the choke and more fuel will be sucked up and burned.

When you drain it, there should only be a few drops which you can absorb in a small rag.

Honda also recommends to use on an ongoing basis some sort of fuel treatment/stabilizer."

"^^^^^^^Yes and if you leave t

"^^^^^^^Yes and if you leave the choke closed (pulled) while not running,
it will restrict salty air circulation through the engine."

Back