Logo

AQ125 runs horrible

krazypool

"Installed a newer fresh rebui

"Installed a newer fresh rebuilt engine, had carb rebuilt, points, timing, distributor all checked. Starts rough but fine after a min. Runs great in neutral, coughs once in reverse but then runs great, but in forward, well...
angry.gif
heck of a time getting it past idle, and when it FINALLY gets going will not go faster then 2400rpms. Then when I switched out the gas and added Seafoam, well now it won't go over 2000rpms. I have read in other questions to work with the accelerator pump stroke and I will do that next time I get in the water, but does anyone have a better idea what to look for?"

"A local mechanic that does od

"A local mechanic that does odd jobs for neighbors... I know, kinda flimsy, but it runs and its what I paid him to do."

"Well, took the boat out and w

"Well, took the boat out and went around the lake about three times with no change even after trying to adjust the accelerator pump stroke. I am wondering if it's not the engine and more on the lower unit?"

"Sounds like a carb problem to

"Sounds like a carb problem to me. However, I would also double check the engine timing and installation of the timing belt to make sure it is correct."

"Sounds like a vacum leak, I h

"Sounds like a vacum leak, I have an aq130 with ealry model solex downdraft carbs, I had the same issues I needed to replace the copper crush ring on the main jet and tighten the air jet screw. This also could be caused by a bad intake manifold gasket. to test for vacum leak when the enging is running you can hook a vac guage up and see what it reads or the old stand by is to spray wd40 along the gasket edge and carb mountting plate, when you hit the leak the engine will let you know."

"Check and DOUBLE check firing

"Check and DOUBLE check firing order.

Check ignition timing

Check that advance weights in the distributor aren't stuck

AS indicated above, check for proper installation of timing belt.

Check compression of all cylinders."

Back