Logo

1976OMCstringer wont shift into for or rev just throtle responds

scottbcarey

I am having a problem w/shifti

I am having a problem w/shifting into gear not getting any response @ the prop. It was working then as i began to get up on a plane it seemed to have just popped out of gear an then would not work at all. Does anyone have any idea as to what my problem could be and what i need to do to remedy this problem?

Did that unit have one of thos

Did that unit have one of those "monkey ball" fuses? I would get the trouble light and see if it is getting power to the shift switch. Then would "jumper" one wire and see if it makes a difference.. Hope it's not your switch but just a power source!!

I'm not shure if it's

I'm not shure if it's overheating it didn't run long enough but it did seem to be hot in a short period of time. It does have the "monkey ball" fuses I was wondering if that could be the culprit but those are only on the solinoids as far as I can tell. Would that be the one I should jump? it seems it's possible it's directly on top of the intermediate housing.

"alright could be the water pu

"alright could be the water pump shaft stripped or the coupler.

ain't the prop spun cause it has a pin.

So with the motor off put it in forward, and turn the prop, does the prop turn if yes,does the ball gears turn, it's the coupler, ball gears don't turn, and the prop turns it's the water pump shaft."

What is there some kind of saf

What is there some kind of safetey when the water pump shaft is spun? You are speaking of the lower unit pump not the engine pump of course? I did try it in gear and the prop would not spin freely and the ball gears don't either. Would there be some kind of safety if it did ovetrheat?

What is there some kind of saf

What is there some kind of safetey when the water pump shaft is spun? You are speaking of the lower unit pump not the engine pump of course? I did try it in gear and the prop would not spin freely and the ball gears don't either. Would there be some kind of safety if it did ovetrheat?

"The water pump shaft is the s

"The water pump shaft is the same as the drive shaft. If the splines gets stripped, the water pump (impeller) stops (overheat), and you have no working drive shaft anymore."

"so you want to know he soluti

"so you want to know he solution? First we have to find the problem.

Remove the water pump, the shaft comes with it and examine the splines, see if it's the water pump shaft then the motor doesn't hhave to come out.

if it's the coupler the motor must be removed to get to it."

"To get to the water pump I wi

"To get to the water pump I will need to remove the lower unit. does the water pump shaft come w/it? As disgussed erlier,when put in gear the prop will not move freely and the ball gear won't move at all either so that sounds like the shaft splines are stripped. Do i have that correct?"

"I do have a clymers manual,as

"I do have a clymers manual,as i noted earlier i tried the shift control w/ignition on in both for. & rev. & the prop would not turn freely as it did w/ cotrol in neutral. this led me to believe that the system was fine and must have something to do w/the lower unit transfering power from the upper gear case to the prop shaft. I also draind the lower unit and found no evidense of metal shavings.Prior to this the prop would also turn slightly while engine idled in neutral which is norm. but now there is no such movement.does anyone think this stil sounds like it could be the drive/waterpump shaft? thank-you for that daig.where did you get that?"

Rigt before this happened I al

Rigt before this happened I also broke a shear pin on the prop due to accidentally shifting into rev. from for. while under way @ aprox. 15 knots. I then replaced the pin & cone and everything was fine for a short time then thats when the thing seemed to just pop out of gear w/no bad sounds the engine just seemed to tach up I don't know if this additional info is more helpful towards a diagnosis.

"[i]i tried the shift control

"i tried the shift control w/ignition on in both for. & rev. & the prop would not turn freely as it did w/ cotrol in neutral.
Well, that test verified that both the electrical AND the water pump shaft are fine.
In fact, by that test, everything is fine from the engine to the prop.
I don't know what to suggest. Maybe try that test again, but stand on the prop. i.e. put some force on it. "

I drained the fluid in the upp

I drained the fluid in the upper & lower gear cases and only found a little water in the upper none whatsoever in the lower. what would cause water to seep into thate case?(mechanical seal on the water pump?)I'm also wondering what could poss. cause my problem in the upper case if that was where the problem is. Whats got me confused is that when I have the shift in gear and turn the prop W/great force in the direction that gives resistance (left in for. or right in rev.) and watch the ball gear on the upper case it turns slightly until it hits against the ball gear on the intermediate case. this dose take alot of force to the prop to acheive thi though. But even w/the engine running it will do this I cant understand why I get no movement @ the prop. Does anyone have any other suggestions? This is really driving me crazy! I guess i might just crack the upper case to see if the is anything wrong in there.

"If you have a single handle c

"If you have a single handle controll it is in the controll box, otherwise it is the three buttons in a row below the throttle arm- And you did check the prop shear pin -right??"

"Early on in this thread, it w

"Early on in this thread, it was mentioned that it could not be a spun prop because of the Shear Pin. I participated recently in a lengthy thread about this and YES, a spun prop is a possibility. You should at least check it out and not ignore it."

I do ave a single handle contr

I do ave a single handle control what should I look for W/that. I took the prop back off to make shure the shear pin was alright and everything was fine there. The only ? I have is that is it possible for the shift lever to be the problem it does seem to be making the prop react when shifting into gear yet it will not spin when running?

"as well as the shear pin, you

"as well as the shear pin, your prop also has a rubber friction hub that can slip.
That's why I suggested standing on the prop.
Check the voltage to the leads going to the drive when you shift.
Check the coil resistances F and R."

I did stand on the prop and wh

I did stand on the prop and when the slack in the ball gears was taken up it would no longer turn. I guess I will further check the shift wiring.

Back