Logo

Tohatsu 40d50d timing

louis165

"i need a little help i conver

"i need a little help i converted my 40d to a 50d and need timing specs and rod measurements and where to measure to and from if any one has a picture of a 50d that would help. P.S. I made 120 mile round trip to order a service manual and was told the only manual i could buy was an owners manual. i know it was bull they wanted the 80.00 bucks an hour and was fine but im not leaving my boat for a week to set timing it cant take an hour. [email protected]"

"you can order a service manua

"you can order a service manual from the Tohatsu Guru's website at www.internetoutboards.com and he'll ship it directly to you so you don't have to drive 120 miles. You can also download a free parts catalog from his website as well. What dealer told you you couldn't order a service manual? Sounds like a dealer to stay far, far away from."

it would be hard to stay a way

it would be hard to stay a way so far they keep a good stock on there parts and if they dont have them they will in three days

what happend to people helping

what happend to people helping people i would give a 100.00 for a manuel if i could pick it up.the next time i see an old lady with a flat tire and she dont know how to change it my be ill tell her to buy a manual. i dont think so!!! i guess im a diffrent breed

"hey, if I had the service man

"hey, if I had the service manual I'd be more than happy to look up the specs you asked for. But I don't. I was simply suggesting that instead of driving a 120 miles to get a manual you could order it online and have it delivered to you. And I'm of the breed that would have let my fingers do the walking...like calling the dealer and asking if they had the manual in stock, or could order one, before I drove 60 miles first.
happy.gif

You can also get a free parts catalog on their website at http://www.internetoutboards.com/PartsCatalogMenu.htm It won't have the "timing specs" but it may help you with the measurements you asked about. And the price is right too...free!
biggrin.gif
"

"Forums, like this, are a grea

"Forums, like this, are a great place to get certain kinds of information. However, it is never wise to complain that that you are entitled to the information you want. You need to visually see the diagrams in the service manual to know which rods are adjusted and how. Those of us who know what we are doing still pull out a manual to avoid making a mistake on something that has the potential to blow an engine up. In my case, it's a liability issue as to why I don't provide that information on the web."

"isnt a tohatsu dealer suppost

"isnt a tohatsu dealer suppost to be able to order a manual & souldnt you support your local dealer ? two rods thats really hard to adjust some people may not be able to read a measuring tape but i may be able to . i have been twisting wrenchs all my life. i thought there maybe someone on here that may have actually worked on a tohatsu
smile.gif
"

""isnt a tohatsu dealer su

""isnt a tohatsu dealer suppost to be able to order a manual"

Yes

"souldnt you support your local dealer ?"

Yes

"two rods thats really hard to adjust some people may not be able to read a measuring tape but i may be able to"

For some, yes and it doesn't seem like it

"i have been twisting wrenchs all my life"

Desire does not equal ability

"i thought there maybe someone on here that may have actually worked on a tohatsu"

One would actually have to break before there would be a reason to.

You know, instead of acting like a jerk, why don't you just thank TGuy for bothering to try to help you? So you didn't get spoon fed the information you think you were entitled to. That's no reason to act like a little spoiled baby."

its no desire i own a paint an

its no desire i own a paint and body shop i enjoy restoring any thing with pistons. outboards are the only thing i have not played with much thats why im smart enough to ask for help. tguy did try to help he gave me your website. thanks tguy!your more than welcome to try and spoon feed me. you should keep your nose out no one asked for god tohatsu guru who never got his hands dirty

"My friend, I have worked on o

"My friend, I have worked on outboards, as a mechanic, for over 45 years. While I do everything I can today, not to do the dirty parts that are best left to younger, more limber techs, never think I haven't done every conceivable thing in outboard repair that could be done...A lot more often than you have painted cars.

But, you are absolutely right about one thing. I shouldn't have pointed out what an ungrateful jerk you are. I apologise."

make no mistake i still havent

make no mistake i still havent any thing to be grateful for from you. you definately dont know me ill give a man the shirt off my back. let me apologise i shouldnt speak to my elders that way.and after (45 YEARS) you know the lenth of the rods like the back of your hands. and yes i believe tohatsu this is my second my first one never missed a lick

In this case Guru is correct.

In this case Guru is correct. I bought 2 service manuals for my 120 Nissian & it makes understanding & working on outboards very simple. I too have pulled wrenchs on autos not as a certified mechanic but 20 years of working on my rides. When it comes to outboards do yourself a favour & order a manual. you must understand your attitude here is not going to foster you much more assitance on the board. So the manual may just become your best friend.

"wow this got out of hand quic

"wow this got out of hand quickly. Louis/Guru...I wasn't trying to start a fight and my posts weren't meant to imply that Louis was wrong or a jerk. My initial thought when I read the first post was "what an idiot this guys dealer must be". I mean, what kind of dealer tells someone that the only thing they can get is an owner's manual? I would certainly hope the dealer has a service manual. And if they do, then obviously they are available from Tohatsu. If they don't have a service manual of their own, then I'd be running out their door as fast as I could.

bottom line is I wasn't trying to start a flame war here. And I would certainly recommend always supporting your local dealer...unless the dealer is totally incompetent. And I still believe that your local dealer is incompetent based on the fact they claim they can't order a service manual. Clearly they are available since you could order it from the gurus website. Again, if I had the manual, I'd post the specs here. Maybe you could just call your local dealer and ask them to look in their book and give you the specs?

again guys, I didn't mean to start anything here and I didn't take Louis' comments as a "shot". Let's all take a deep breath.
happy.gif
"

.im not angry with anyone but

.im not angry with anyone but the dealer i know they can get one im thinking they want the work and that would be fine if they would get it in and out . i need my boat to start building duck blinds and this small adjustment is holding me up.as for as guru i know his a good guy and under stand the reason why he doesnt give out specs.

"so we're back to square o

"so we're back to square one. Since the guru can't give it out due to liability issues and nobody else has posted the specs from their service manual and your local dealer won't sell you the manual, you're back to ordering the manual from somewhere else. If you order online today, you'll probably have it in your hands by Monday or Tuesday
At this point I wouldn't think it would matter whether you buy it from your local dealer or not. You need the info and it's in the manual and you can get the manual from just about anywhere (other than your particular dealer apparently). So time to get off the pot and order it up and start getting ready to blast those yummy ducks out of the sky. ha! Dang...now I'm getting hungry thinking about them!"

"well just came back from the

"well just came back from the dealer i had to get the other peace to the throttle cam its a two peace for the 50d. the tech. looked at it and said the timing was out of ajustment but wanted to wait and set it with the 50d throttle cam.so hope fully next week ill be ready. butt they still said i couldnt get a manual i think they really dont know. so ill order one . cant wait to get them ducks on the pit!!!
uhoh.gif
"

got ur done took it in today a

got ur done took it in today and set the timing it took about 1/2 hour to fix. the tech even let me help thats the kind of people i like to do business with .

"Glad to hear things are worki

"Glad to hear things are working out for you. On a side note about manuals. Not sure about it in your area but we have some public libraries that have some pretty extensive collectios of repair manuals. Honestly I can't say if mine has a Tohatsu as I've never looked for one, but I do know that it has both Chilton and Haynes manuals for most cars (looks like they have 100 manuals) and I've seen Honda, Merc and Johnson/Evinrude manuals as well. Just a thought for future reference."

"I have a 40D which I would li

"I have a 40D which I would like to convert to a
50. What parts, how many hours did it take to
do your conversion? Do you have any regrets and
how difference do you see."

i have not got to air it out y

i have not got to air it out yet the lake ive been on has lots of stumps ill let you know top speed was 33mph. you will need 50 carbs /50 intake plate/50 throttle cam/50 exhaust tube and gaskets. should take a few hours.there is a guy on here with a 50 thats blown you need to contact him asap

The 40D converson to 50D
MY

The 40D converson to 50D
MY 40D M NS40D2 3C8-1
S 48984 2001
The only numbers I have on the 50D 53571 e3e
Is this a swap or a bad idea?
Thanks Nelson

im back my computer crashed. i

im back my computer crashed. is the porting different or the stroke every thing bolted up i havent been able to open it up because of to many stumps . bottom end and mid range is stronger

Back