Logo

Crusader 270 71c velvet drive help

wkeboarder16

"Thinking about switching 1.5:

"Thinking about switching 1.5:1 71c velvet drives to 1:1 drives on my 1985 tollycraft 30' with twin crusader 270's and Im worried about my original props not giving me what I need to get on a plane and cruise at proper RPM. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions? Im switching to the 1:1 ratios due to lack of parts for my recently blown up 1.5:1. Its cheaper to replace both drives with new 1:1 than to fix the 1.5:1 that I have. Also, anyone have a good site to buy left and right hand camshafts for my 270's? Thanks!"

"Brother, you came to the righ

"Brother, you came to the right place!

First of all, that's a really nice boat! We looked seriously at two of them--the older design with the motors hell to access, and the newer easy to work on design--but couldn't come to terms ($$$).

On your props, I'm a Marinette owner and they used both trans setups. Your props will have to be replaced (or it won't plane off!)

Here's the specs for 32 foot Marinettes:

1.52:1 trans: 16 x 14 to 16 pitch (depending on whether it's 318s or 360s and options)

1:1 trans: 14 x 10 to 12 pitch

You'll be in good shape with the larger diameter shaft the reduction trans uses (probably a 1 1/4 vs a 1 inch) but finding smaller props with the larger shaft size might require a machine shop bore job.

Good luck!

Jeff"

"You better get your adding ma

"You better get your adding machine out!!!

I'd don't think going from 1.5:1 to 1:1 is a good move. First, you've loosing the torque multiplier the reduction gear provides. That's not what I'd call a "light" 30' boat. Second, you'll have to get new shafts as the direct drives are much shorter. I think the extra cost for the reduction gear will offset the new shafts. Third, with that much gear change, new props are pretty certain. I'd add up all the 'extras' before making the decision.

I'd check around to see if you can find rebuilt drives, locally, from a reputable rebuilder. then I'd go find a 'propscan' prop shop and get your current wheels 'dialed in'. You'll have a much better performing vessel when it is done.

As far as the cams, a good local machine shop should be able to get them easily. Don't forget new lifters and break-in lube, too."

"My small bock GM Crusaders us

"My small bock GM Crusaders use a standard camshaft on both engines, and use gears rather than a chain on the reverse rotation engine. Camshaft still turns the same direction, just the firing order changes.
Don't know if your are like this or not.

Bob"

"That's the smarter way to

"That's the smarter way to do it. Better still, reversing the rotation in the tranny/ outdrive is smarter still.

Jeff"

Back